Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie Fuel and Oil Questions

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rodgerdodger, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I've got a DT175 and was just wondering if its possible, and if so what effect using premium unleaded and the more expensive synthetic oils has. I have no idea about this, its a two stroke with seperate oil/fuel tanks (i.e. filled with straight unleaded fuel, not two stroke mix), so is it even possible to use premium unleaded or do you have to stick to regular?

I ask as its dirt cheap to run so if it is of any benefit running premium stuff, i.e. burns less smokey or whatever, I'm happy to pay the little extra but don't know if it does make a difference. Does anyone have any information on this, and what do you do regarding switching from regular petrol/oil to premium? Is it necessary to completely drain the bike and then switch or is mixing possible and then moving on to premium?

Cheers.

2. Two stroke air cooled motorcycles are generally low compression, so the octane boosters in premium wouldn't be of any use that I can see.

As for the two stroke oil, I would suggest using a good 2 stroke motorcycle oil.

Since the DT175 is air cooled and the motor is basically a 20 year old design you probably don't need to use full synthetic but semi synthetic wouldn't hurt.

3. if you want less smoke use a to notch oil (its that smoking not the petrol) stick to standard unleaded though, old twosmokes and premium dont mix too well.