Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie from West Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by jaykay, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi guys.

I'm a newbie looking to get started in motorcycling, with a big goal in a couple of years.

In a year or two I'd like to take 6-12 months off and ride from Sydney to London in a year or two's time.

I'm starting here completely from scratch. I don't even have my learners permit yet.

I would appreciate info on the make/model bike I should get, which will be legal for a learner in NSW, but also potentially make it all the way to England. A bike with a reputation for reliability would be greatly appreciated.

If you could point me in the right direction to get started, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Welcome jaykay :)

The bike you buy initially will be determined by what you are legally allowed to ride here, ie, a LAMS bike (restricted power/weight ratio)

I'd suggest you move on this quickly, get your restricted period out of the way and then assess what bike you want based on experience, and what sort of roads to you intend to travel on for your big adventure
  3. It all depends on what your personal preference is. There are many LAMS bikes out there which cater to all riding types.

You can get a bike as cheap as $2000 all the way up to $12000.

As a learner, I would suggest getting a comfortable, easy to learn on bike that is cheap to maintain and repair in case of a drop/crash (trust me, it will happen!)

just off the top of my head, some good bikes to learn on are Honda VTR250, CB400, Suzuki GS500 (with or without fairings) or even the new Yamaha FZ6R (if you can afford it).

There are tonnes of bikes out there! Depending on what your budget is, there will be one to suit you
  4. Welcome JayKay

Multi purpose, get you to London, reliable and LAMS legal...I'd go the BMWG650GS.
  5. Hi and welcome mate. Welcome to motorcycle riding once you started and there is no stopping.

Any bikes you choose is entirely up to you ,do your research and seek advice from NR members is the way to go.

Good luck on your choosen bike..

Cheer Cam..
  6. There's a woman who rode the World on an XT225. Something strong and simple that's proven over the years is fair bet, like a DR650 or any number of other bikes. Have a look around at the ADVrider forums for a wealth of info about this sort of thing.

West Sydney, huh? Stop deciding the outcomes of our elections already!