Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie from Canberra

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by ridingsolo, May 1, 2016.

1. Hi All,

I have been a long time lurker here and just took the step to get back into riding after almost 18 years! So newbie.

Rode when I was 18 for a year (125cc)overseas so am literally looking for all and any good advice.

Have been wanting to get back to riding for years but for all the million excuses I have been making up I just didn't take the leap.

Have a decent budget and willing to bump if needed.

So my question is I am planning to buy a sporty looking lams not a cruiser or naked fan.

What should I buy and should I buy new or used? I am not a track fan but would like something that can keep me interested even after I get off my Ls.

Sorry for the long post.

Good day.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. G'day and welcome, ridingsoloridingsolo.

Ruling out naked and cruiser motorcycles, and with that "keep me interested" theme, a couple of Honda's faired LAMS models are the CBR500RA and CBR650F. The 2016 Honda CBR500RA is currently being released in Australia and has been revised with even sportier looks than the awesome-looking original.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Aloha ridingsoloridingsolo , Great that you have taken a plunge finally and getting on the metal steed :]
    I agree with XJ6N on the bikes he's mentioned if you are buying brand new.

If it's a Learner I would get a second hand one in good condition. The reason being is because what ever you end up buying it will end up being a great mistake! haha Why? Causes you'll prob outgrow it very quickly and want to upgrade within a year! Also it will give you an insight on what kind of riding you will predominantly be doing and what you will need / not need / what you want / what added stuff you want.

Also cause when you learn, you're bound to drop it, scratch it etc ;) It wont hurt as much if it is already a 2nd hand bike than a brand new one.

good luck!
  4. Welcome mate :cool:

Go to you local bike shops and sit on as many bikes as you can, every one is different, even ones in the same class.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thank you all. From what limited conversation I have had I have been advised by some to buy new but others like valvoline have stressed on getting a used one in good nick. The issue is my knowledge of bikes is terrible and don't really have a mate that can go over a used one to check it out. Dropping an old one wouldn't hurt that much That's a given. What would you guys recommend in a used one so that I can keep an eye for it?
  6. Also sorry but how much is ABS a necessity for a newbie like me?

With the winds blowing in Canberra (it's damn windy today) does it make sense to buy a heavier bike for stability or would a lighter one suffice as well?
  7. ridingsoloridingsolo that's the beauty of motorcycling ... You never stop learning! And all riders started in the same place - as newbies :)

Yes, the smaller/lighter the bike the more samba it's going to do in the hard wind, when large trucks pass or on highways. However on any bike you'll feel it to some degree and over time you'll get the experience to ride through it (maybe not a cyclone tho. And that's not recommended). ;) Unless you are gonna tour long distances it may not be a huge issue when you first start.

ABS is nice to have but not a pre-requisite. Some old timers say you shouldn't need it or at least learn without it. Then graduate from there. I think most riding schools and v small bikes don't seem to have it anyhow. For a beginner I would say invest in some safety riding course or one on one lessons on emergency braking/skills Etc. that way you can take those anywhere to any bike.

As far as bikes: go to the shops. Throw your leg over as many as possible. Sit your tush on as many as you can. From
    There determine what style, size, height, etc you feel most
    Comfy on. Then do more homework and see if you can test ride some (if you can). What's right for some may not be good for others (eg. As much as I'd love to get a 1000cc, being 4foot11 kinda limits that!) lol

When you've found one type you like, then maybe look at 2nd hand ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. You could split the difference here - buy a low-kilometres (e.g. under 5,000 kilometres) bike with good service history (most likely just the first 1,000-kilometre service) that is still well within the warranty period. You avoid the premium new bike price but still have the safeguard of warranty on what should give every appearance of being in excellent condition.

ABS is one of those things that still polarises some people's opinions - what ValvolineValvoline has said more or less covers it - it's a safety net. Learning to set up and progressively brake under emergency conditions is a MUST whether or not your first and subsequent bikes have ABS and doesn't need to be a deal-breaker whether you decide to buy a certain bike or not.

Bike weight is generally (but not always!) is a by-product of the style of bike, intended use and displacement of its engine. Thus, a Honda CB125E is lighter than say, a Honda CB500RA (I'm really one-eyed about using Honda examples, aren't I?!). If you're only going to ride around the suburbs and avoid highways and the open road, the CB125E is great whereas the CBR500RA will be just as much at home on the highway as around town due to its greater power.

You're probably already familiar with that concept though. Choose the bike that is suitable for the range of riding situations you're intending - commuting, day rides out of town, touring, etc. As 69SIM69SIM said, visit as many dealerships and sit on as many bikes as you can while looking around.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Welcome to NR, you have some good advice in the last couple of posts.
  10. Thanks Valvoline and XJ. You have cleared up some of my misconceptions
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Welcome to NR
  12. gday ridingsoloridingsolo, welcome to NR!

would suggest a pre-loved ride, maybe a ninja, kwaka or yamaha. try to ride a few to help you make up your mind. the 'arse-on-seat' test will guide you in the right direction.
  13. Howdy and welcome ridingsoloridingsolo :happy: I have very little to add to the great advice given already. I've been riding for only a year, no prior experience what so ever. Bought new CBR500RA because here in VIC we are restricted to LAMS bikes for 3 years (plus L's), so I wanted a biggish and reliable bike that will keep me happy for the whole period, plus I wanted a reliable bike, as I've got no mechanical knowledge. Went for ABS version as an "insurance". Love my Honda, it's been fantastic learner bike for me. It is very comfortable on a highway and in city traffic.

I cannot stress enough the importance of trying for size as many bikes as you can. We are all built differently, and apart from your weight and height, you need to consider hip/knee angles, how far/low the handlebars are, etc. This site can be handy as a guide Motorcycle Ergonomics Happy shopping (y)
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Thanks for the link Fr33dm! Yes will check out as many bikes I can over the weekend
    • Like Like x 1