Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie, excited and nervous about getting 1st bike delivered

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by cameo, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Hey! I'm new here. I've just recently gotten my permit, and the bike I bought yesterday (VTR250) is being delivered to my place this afternoon. Pretty nervous, but looking forward to it. I'll have an initial challenge of trying to actually get the bike into my carspace... I live in a highrise, and my parking space is up a series of ramps (about 4 floors up) - a pretty daunting thing I think to have to do on the first time on my bike! Maybe I'd be better off waiting until after peakhour (when the traffic outside the building has died down), and go for a bit of a ride up and down the street first? Wish me luck!

2. Congrats on the new bike.

Just pick 1st gear and going up and down the ramps ,there is no hurry ,take your time ,it will be all good.
    The ramps in my building are tight ,just go up one ramp ,stop and then turn around and go up the next one.
    While your waiting just keep going over and over in your head the things you learnt in the L's course .
    Keep your head up.
    Where you look is where you go.
    Stopping and starting , procedures.

Everyone was nervous . :)

3. "First bike delivered"??? Jeez how easy do these people have it these days, when I got MY first bike I had to go and get it and ride it home!!!??? :shock:

Just kidding, cameo, enjoy :)

4. Cameo, thought I've seen your other post somewhere around.. but anyway.. congrats again. why not just ride around the empty carpark assuming you are leaving in highrise with multistorey car park?

I remember I have exactly the same feeling when I first got onto a bike.. just take it easy.. apply what you have learn from the course and take your time.. no hurry. Nee (iam.on.it) might be able to pay you a visit when he has his afternoon tea at dockland friday.. :LOL:

5. Congrats on your first bike. Have fun and stay sfe.

6. Oops... have been meaning to check back here!
    Well for the record I chickened out riding it up the ramps when it was delivered... had a mate help me push it up there. Decided to wait for a day when I had all day free (i.e. a Saturday) to take it out for it's first ride.
    Unfortunately, I had to deal with lots of 2nd-hand-vehicle-bugs that day... if it wasn't one thing it was another that I needed to fix before it could be taken out... spent most of the day on the phone to the dealer having them talk me through how to fix this and that (but hey, I learned a lot!).
    I was so peeved by the time it was ready to ride that I jumped on, hooned out down the ramps of the multi-level carpark, U-turn at the busy Lorimer St/West Gate Freeway intersection and it was a good few minutes later that I realised "wow hang on... this is my first ride on the road.... hmm apparently I'm doing just fine!". Had an awesome few hours just taking it easy around Fishermans Bend... loved every minute of it. Hazaar for me.

7. Hazaar!

Have fun!

8. i got both my bikes delivered haha