Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie clutch question

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Muppeteer, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I've been looking at a few different bikes recently, and I've noticed that when the bike is on its centre-stand (so the back wheel is off the ground) and the bike is put into gear, the rear wheel spins even with the clutch in. Is this normal? It doesn't pull when the rear wheel is on the ground, but it does spin when the wheel is in the air, it even picks up speed when you apply throttle with the clutch in.

Do all bikes do this when the rear wheel is in the air, or is it indicative of a clutch or gearbox problem?

2. Yep that's normal!
  3. Its due to drag between clutch surfaces, caused but the oil that the cluch assembly is sitting in. Most bikes run a wet clutch like this as opposed to a dry clutch (like in ur average roadcar). This also means the clutches dont wear out by being 'ridden' anywhere near as fast as a dry one would if you treated it the same (so slipping the clutch while slow riding etc is not a problem)
  4. Yep what cammo said is true.
  5. no its not neccessarilly, not all bikes will do it, if there is to much play in the clutch lever (ie play til take up) this will cause the clutch to partially engage you can adjust the clutch a little bit further which will stop it from happening, but you do need to have some end play in the clutch, so that when you are not pulling the lever in it is not semi slipping
  6. So glad I searched first before posting!

My bike is doing the same thing, glad to hear it, I'll see if I can adjust the clutch cable later, but for now i am prefering that when disengaged I get full contact with the clutch and its not slipping.
  7. It can also be normal for the clutch to stick a little bit until the bike is warmed up, but it could also be adjusted wrong. Try it when you get back from a ride & see if it still happens, if so, adjust your clutch.
  8. Just the bike telling you it wants to be ridden.
  9. It'll occur less with thinner oil or when the engine is warm.

See how much friction on the tyre it takes to stop the rotation.
    Should be very little.