Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie - Central Coast NSW

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Sprock3t, May 27, 2009.

1. Hi Everyone,

Yup, another newbie. I'm a mature age (yeah right) rider who just got my L's a few weeks back. I was looking for a bike to get a bit of 'me' time, and to spend a bit of time tinkering on it, rather than trying to service the family car!

I went insane searching daily for my first bike so I bought a ZZR250 off eBay sight unseen *shudder* for $3k. I didn't even ride it I was that scared being new to it and just trailered it home. An oil and coolant change, chain lube and valve adjustment and I've been riding around locally. (Fingers crossed everything unseen is okay.)

It's just a weekend/evening thing for me, so I'm probably not learning as fast as I would like. I'm still feeling very fresh to it all, tensing up at gear change time, and still not confident with leaning into corners properly (the square back tyre isn't helping much either.)

I'm hoping to get good enough to do my P's test before the end of June so I can skip to an open license to travel down the F3 to visit some mates on the weekend, but I'm seriously doubting my ability to pass.

Anyways, that's me, a big shout out to you all.

Cheers,
    Jon

2. Welcome to NR, I found it'll all come with a bit more riding. Have you booked a test for the Ps? With all the changes coming I'm sure there's gonna be a cramming for test places to get in before it comes into effect

3. Welcome Jon :).

4. welcome bud

5. You're right G3ORG3Y, there are only a few more spots left for the P's test before the end of June. I haven't booked yet, I'm only hesitating cause my back tyre might need replacing beforehand. In the centre it's on the wear indicators, on the edges it's got 9mm! :shock:

6. Hi Jon, Welcome to NR

In the scheme of things it really doesnt matter if you get to do your P's before or after June. Do it when you have everything ready and when you feel confident in yourself and that you got your bike right.

Oh and make sure you post pics of your bike too :)

7. Sirian Sun makes a good point that it doesn't matter getting into the P's test before or after June. I would place a real emphasis on your own feelings "How comfortable are you with being on the bike?" I didn't do my Ps till 5 months after I got my Ls.

Pics please. :idea:

8. Jon,

They're right .. dont rush it.

Especially as I hate to be the bringer of bad news but the new rules start 1 June. :cry:

Sorry

9. 1st of June???? Not July???? NOooooooo...... ](*,)

[edit] Now reading all the dozens of threads discussing the June 1st deadline! My bad....so bad. :(

10. HiYa All!

Newbie to Netrider, relatively new to the Central Coast and hoping to be somewhat of a born again rider in the near future.

Short history.
    1998 Got learners
    1999 Got licence; bike stolen (uninsured - my bad :cry: ).
    2007 Became a Postal Delivery Officer (postie :LOL: )
    2008 Moved to Gosford
    2009 Itching to get bike.

There it is - all told I most likely spend more time on two wheels in a day than some people do in a week with the difference being that I ride a Honda CT110, something that barely scrapes in under the motorcycle classification :p

Cheers all
    Lee

11. Hey Lee!

Welcome to NR and it's good to see another local coastie. I'm gathering you don't take the postie bike home then?

12. Welcome to NR , enjoy :grin:

13. TYVM for the welcome Jon

In answer to your question;
    Ummm Errrrrrrrr
    NO! :LOL:
    While it's not out of the realms of possibility, there's a postie who rides his company bike past our place each morning, I don't have that honour as I actually have to make the commute down to the upper north shore. At the moment I'm doing that in the trusted old commodore but am inching closer and closer to getting myself a real bike.

G'Day Kitt, and thank you.

Loving the coincidence;
    Sprock3t = Gosford = New home
    Kitt = Ardeer = Almost old work area (St Albans)

14. j3st3r, make your own introduction thread so u dont take Sprock3t's 15 minutes of fame, get your own 15 minutes :grin: :grin: :grin:

15. sup postie bike fame stealer :p hahaha jks welcome lee

Im sure theres a clause that if your mature rider, new changes only affect differently. must read teh fine print :deal:

i've heard of people getting licences after 25 (mature age) and having only 6 months on p's or something

Goz what exactly do you do for in the council? im guesing your a office worker

16. offices are for poofs.. :grin:

im a horticulturist, love my outdoors

17. ...and gardens are for daisies. :LOL:

18. I'm a newbie but welcome anyway;)