Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie - Brisbane Northside

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by TheShak, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Hi all,

Newbie here, just got my learners a couple of weeks back. I'm still to book my Q-Ride course and haven't ridden a motorbike before.
    Primarily taking it up to commute to/from work just outside the CBD (around 18km one way) so going second-hand. I'm looking at getting a cheap 250cc, and was leaning towards a Hyosung but from reading some reviews it sounds like it might not be a good idea with my size and shape (5'6" - 100kg). So I'm looking at a VTR250.

Not much budget for a bike, maxing out at $3,500 as I'll be looking at getting spending a bit on safety gear.
    Anyone have any sugguestions as to what other bikes I should consider?

Cheers,
    The Shak

2. Welcome to NetRider mate! Good onya for getting your licence :) let the fun begin!

As for a bike, it all depends on how tall/short/big/small you are.. sit on many and see how they feel.. flatfoot is good for a learner.. semi-flatfoot is ok too.. make sure you don't need to have your arms straight to reach the handle bars (your forearm should be parallel with the road..) etc etc.. (a good salesperson should walk you through all that stuff)

Oh, it also depends on the style you want.. sporty, sport-touring, touring, cruiser, motard, dirt?

Enjoy! (y)
    Lee

3. Thanks MadAzz300 :) was originally looking at cruisers but now leaning more towards naked bikes. Basically trying to find the cheapest and most practical solution and get some fun rides in the process ;)

4. The best naked, all rounder, non threatening, fun LAMS would be the CB400 in many people's opinion.

• Like Like x 1

5. thanks 109er! unfortunately it's out of the budget right now. if circumstances change, I'll definitely keep that in mind. :)