Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie angst

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Cheeks, Aug 9, 2016.

1. I've found myself interested of late in the idea of motorcyclists and their 'philosophy' or the extent to which we are a group. I am a new rider, who decided to to ride as he approached 50 years on this mortal coil, all the while thinking there was some kind of appreciation that we were all in the same boat. I was both right and wrong.
    Firstly, I've had a million nods. Love it, and I always nod to other motorcycles. But I've also had numerous dudes, and yes they're always dudes, sneer at me when I say hello at a red light. Whether my 300 Kwaka isn't big enough, or their parents didn't learn 'em right, I don't know. Point is, I reckon riding a motorcycle gives you a minimum acknowledgement as a non-fcukwit. Apparently not. Very disappointing, but whatever.
    So, is there a philosophy? I'm certain that there is a remarkable level of tolerance and empathy. But the sneer at my little bike, like I could give a shit? Strange. I conclude there are more out there that would help me in a crisis than not. More positives than negatives, and a whole lotta good people who care. Outside of that, I didn't care much from the outset. But now I really don't.
    What do you think?

2. There are wankers in any sub-set of humans. I bet even the monks up at some remote Tibetan monastery have one tosser who snubs the rest of them in some arcane manner....

fcuk 'em, enjoy your ride!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tumblr_inline_n8qadeIRxL1qfxhbt.

Don't let the wankers ruin your enjoyment :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. how can you tell they're sneering through a helmet or skull face bandana mask?

5. The only thing that matters is, that YOU are happy with YOUR bike. Life is too short to worry or care what people who you don't even know, think or if they look at you funny or not. Just enjoy your bike, your ride and your friends. cheers Fred :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 9289bc1a974b474ede0f644d11248f89.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. There is no philosophy: there's just you, the bike and the road. Everything and everyone else is utterly irrelevant.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. CheeksCheeks there are all kinds of people in this world and in my profession we have a saying. “What other people think of you is none of your business.” Unless you choose to make it your business, just ride and remember why you ride. (y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ^ What Hornet said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hmmm..

JeffcoJeffco.. Pass on some popcorn please... Should I get some beer too?

11. Plenty of fabulous folks on Netrider that you may get the opportunity to ride with. The rest - stuff 'em. Enjoy your ride, and ignore the wankers.

:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. This...

And wow.. Awesome lines there hornethornet

:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yep this could be an all nighter

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Might need to get the Rum out then..

15. Ive got a bottle of bundy somewhere

16. Al Bundy?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. no, Kelly

AAuntccitled.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. so
    you saved up hard to get your bike
    you studied and practised to get your loiners
    them some dudes disrespected you at the lights ?
    well that really sucks dude
    maybe you should buy a ferrari instead
    then you will get all the hot chicks
    maybe

• Like Like x 1
  19. Point taken. Stupid post. Was just thinking. Dude.

20. Agreed, was just thinking out loud in a post.

• Like Like x 1