Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie alert

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Sirian Sun, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Hey all,

Have to say you have a brilliant site here! I am going for my learner course in May and its great to read about everyone elses experiences. Love all the info and tips here too.

So question time... What do you all think of a Ninja 250 as a first bike? I want something that isnt too heavy so I can get accustomed to the handling and manouverability and generally get my confidence up. I am thinking of something up to 5 years old too, dont want a new bike to start with.

Cheers

2. Hey Sirian Sun, you might want to introduce yourself over at the welcome lounge too :)

I haven't test rode a Ninja250 so your guess is as good as mine until you test ride it.

To help with creating a shortlist that you may want to test ride, what type of bike are you after? Something like a Ninja 250 (sporty road bike), or maybe an Aprilia RS125 (2 stroke high revving sporty road bike), or maybe a naked commuter (Honda VTR250)? If you can specify what you want to get out of the bike, I'm sure that you'll get a short list from all the suggestions in no time.

Once you get your list, go out and test ride each and every one until you find the bike that suits you. If you have a couple that you just like the look of (like the Ninja 250) add them to your list too, but go out and test ride them! When you test ride, you'll get to know the type of riding position that you prefer and the feel of the bike so you can compare them when you start looking.

Welcome again, and good luck with your L's course in May. It's a piece of cake so just enjoy the day.

3. Hi there SS, and welcome to Netrider!

I'd say your choice is a sensible one. A Ninja 250 is pretty much a GPX 250 with more modern styling - the engine has remained relatively unchanged. Either one would be a good choice in my opinion.

You may find that there are other styles of bikes that appeal to you, such as unfaired (naked) bikes, off-roaders, or motards. Race replicas (such as Mito and Aprilia 125's) tend to offer good handling and responsiveness, often at the expense of frequent maintanence.

Check out the 'stickys' at the top of the forum for some good reading on choosing a bike, and what to look for when buying.

Cheers - boingk

4. Hey mate, welcome.

How tall are you, I wouldn't worry about the weight too much, people tend to get used to it quite easily, the worry tends to be seat height with regards to drops. The baby ninja's no dirt bike so wouldn't worry there.

What will be the bikes main usage? Commute?

Btw invest in some oggy's, they're usually just over 200 odd dollars and can save you from a world of tears.

Good luck with it. :wink:

5. Thanks for your replies, real food for thought there.

There are two bikes I really like the look of, the Ninja and the Ducati's - quite a difference ;) Height shouldnt be a problem as I am 5'7. You are right though, no point speculating until I try them out - something I found out when I bought my helmet last night lol. My neighbour has kindly offered to let me ride his ZZR 250 when I get my learners so I can get a feel for it.

The bike is for fun rather than commuting at this stage - I have no desire to wrestle with peak hour traffic in Sydney just yet ;)

Appreciate your replies guys :) Thanks

*wanders off to the Lounge*

6. Alright looks like you've got your heart set on a certain kind of bike and won't be whinging about back pains due to being hunched over at 20k's an hour :LOL:

You'll probably end up commuting eventually, I would die without my bike. Traffic on the Eastern Distributor is a joke and i hate public transport with a passion. I'd do a wheelie on the transport ministers face in a second.

7. Ditto! lol Parramatta Rd in the morning is a shambles on the best of days. More than likely I will change my mind about commuting once I am confident with my riding. Inexperience and traffic dont seem to be a good combination.

LOL @ being hunched over... No bitching or moaning allowed, you have to take the good with the bad ;)

8. If its just for fun why not go a bigger bike, certain states have LAMS. Your spending top dollar for a new ninja nowadays, and you can pick up frankly faster bikes for less under the LAMS scheme. Not as pretty, maybe.

edit : according to the RTA you do have a LAMS scheme.
    not more the 660cc
    not more than 150kw/tonne.

Easy, plenty of bikes in that category including newer sporty bikes with better brakes, bigger engines, etc.

9. Hi Liquidity

Funny you mention that, my brother was saying the same thing. I'm thinking along the 'baby steps' line lol. I will keep that in mind, thanks for the suggestion :)

I can work around the 'pretty' aspect... but I still want to feel good about what I am riding too. Any suggestions on other bikes?

10. I'm 5"9 weigh 60kg and ride a Ninja 250, I don't find it too heavy. I found it handles better than Sacchs I used for the L's course. I also do use it for commuting, 50min trip in peak traffic.

If I had my time again probably would have got a naked bike, just because of the damage that could happen with the fairing.

Other than that I am quite happy, but have really riden any other bikes other than what I learnt on.

11. baby steps is my motto to, I have a little VTR250 (or will have in a week or so once I get the last bit money together, its killing me on deposit. MY BABY).

Anyway. I know they arent depreciating much (no longer made) and I know out of all the bikes, including the ninja, it just felt comfortable. Sure, not sporty, but I didnt WANT a sportster for my first nervous trip down the road from the dealer to home. In the CBD.

VTR 250 is quite pretty, I think, out of the newer bikes. Depends on your taste really. Sportsbikes wise theres a few from suzuki, but they are a bit bigger, (600ccs). Theres not many "modern" 250's that dont look like arse.

12. Thanks for the heads up uncosnail...

How long were you riding before you tackled the traffic?

13. I will check out the VTR250 as well. Sometimes its the stuff you dont immediately think of that ends up being what suits.

Glad to know I am not the only one using baby steps lol

14. +1 to the VTR 250

Very solid bike. My preference goes to the grandaddy the SPADA but that's just cause i owned one and it survived a few crashes and is still going strong! :LOL: :grin:

If you want to be a real balls out hero though, go for a motard. They're light, fun and love to wheelie without scaring the bejeezus out of you because it's a motard! :LOL:

and did i mention they're fun!?

and you get browning points for people on their opens that have never popped a mono or slid the rear around a corner. :LOL: It's pretty much the only way to get a LAMS bike and not be scoffed at by fully licenced riders.

15. i've got a Ninja 250R
    what can i say? buy a used VTR

17. I did the course 1 1/4 days then about 4 weeks later after I had bought all thee safety gear, bought the bike and rode it home from Brighton to Upwey, in off peak traffic. I didn't really have a choice.

With dropping the bike, as everyone will tell you it is very easy to do. Have done it twice but so far no damage to fairings. Once was driving up a gravel road (it is a hilly road) which is how I get out on to the sealed road, the bike lost traction in the gravel (as it hadn't been graded in awhile and back I went. Another time just reversing it backwards and it just slid to the ground, (no damage) slippery surface. I was amazed that I was able to get the bike back up with no further mishaps. As I have read on the girls ride out forum how one girl got her bike up and then it tipped the other way and went down again.

Also dropped the bike on the course.

A mistake I made was that the bike was not warmed up enough and stalled on this gravel road, now I ride it along the nature strip like the postie does to get out of my drive way, much easier. :roll: :roll:

19. Not so. The sooner you ride in the rain, the better IMO. Helps you become a better all round rider.

During my early days of riding, I had just finished training on the other side of town and it was a bloody good storm night. Also, there were plenty of road works about and most of the road side lighting was not working. Now that's a combo. Got home dry and safe.

Get some good wet weather gear and go riding! :wink: Night riding is a little hairy at times, especially when the wild life is active, but again, make a point of riding in all conditions and times of day. You'll soon wonder why you felt so hesitant riding in rain/at night. Build up to it in stages if it helps.

20. Great advice all round, thanks for sharing :)

Without sounding lame it does sound a bit daunting at first, seeing as I havent really ridden before. I am probably being a little over cautious but better that than some hero who knows it all first time out.

Were any of you like that to begin with?