Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie Advice about Buying Gear Online

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by KiwigalSal, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Hi All

I've just brought my first bike :) and now I'm looking for gear. I've been to Peter Stevens in Dandenong, and while they were good, they were pretty expensive (I think) quoting me $1,717 to get fully kitted out (Shoei Helmet, Mayfair jacket & pants, Stella boots plus some gloves).

I started to research some of the online stores and I came across a site called Bikers Gear (based at Phillip Island where they also have a shopfront). The gear (different brands than I looked at) is half the price but I wondered if anyone could tell me what their gear is like and whether the savings are really just false economy?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts/insights. Thanks!

2. Speak to motolegion on this site for helmet and gloves, and check out my half price Berik thread, cant go wrong

3. Better yet read reviews in the products section

Thanks Goz

I highly rate Berik gear especially at the price it is at ( 50 % off ( do a search on ebay for berik )

KiwiGalSal

I dont think I would have gloves small enough for you ( unless you have large hands )

I have no jeans at the moment - only really good carbon fibre helmets

There is an agent in Melbourne that you can try the helmet on with if you wish send me a PM I will tell you who it is

4.  Top
  5. If your in frankston head down to AMX in Lyndhurst On the Gippy hwy

6. Bought a lot of leather from biker gear. its good stuff and cheap.

7. Thanks everyone.

Deadman - would you recommend Biker Gear over going into a clearance centre...also is their sizing ok and are they okay with exchanges if size is wrong?

Thanks!

8. Bikers Gear i had a good exchange with after the size was wrong.
    Think it cost me $5 plus the return postage to exchange.
    I take fully 2 sizes larger jacket in their sizing then dririder, so there was confusion... despite the makes saying eg: 2xl is Xcm, both said the same.

9. You can only buy gear by trying it on, and making sure it fits,
    I am medium, I tried 7 medium jackets before I got one that fitted right, Long arms, short arms, big chest, small chest, They come in all sizes as people are not the same size,
    I tried the internet, but would never have got one that fitted right,
    You will have to ride down there and try the stuff on, there is no other way,
    Heather got her gear there as well, it all fits,
    Pants, jackets, gloves,
    I only buy leather that is designed to slide down the road.
    I dont buy good looking gear that will disintegrate if you come off,
    I still fall off occasionally, Hahahahaha
    Even a clearance centre, you have to try it on, if it dont fit, dont buy it.
    Cheers,
    Brian.

10. I cannot recommend Bargain Bike Bits more highly. You can buy online, they have both an ebay store and full site, but they're a bit slack in keeping them updated.

However, if you go in (they're in Bayswater) you have NEVER NEVER met two nice people running the place in your life. My partner got kitted out there for around 60% of RRP, and the whole thing was totally no pressure, take as long as you like, try as much as you want, and have a good old chat about random stuff while you're at it.

11. Sorry correction, they're in Heidelburg, but I rode there from Frankston and it was well worth it. The factory entrance is hard to find, but if you give them a call on 03 9459 1158 before you head out they'll give you helpful hints on finding it.

12. As a newbie, or really anyone, when buying online look for reputable brands that have been around for a long time and proven themselves.

Unfortunately due to the internet there a lot of fly by night and ebay operators out there that buy knock off items and resell them or others that make products with highly inappropriate fabrics or manufacturing processes. Some of it would be laughable if it wasn't putting peoples lives at risk with wild claims of safety. At least 3 quarters of the lined jeans on the market use woven kevlar that is designed not for motorcycle safety garments but use in other industries but it is cheap and yellow and people believe the hype. Some Manufacturers use yellow fabric of unknown origin, but the guy in Pakistan said it was kevlar. Same with leather, there is good leather, and bad leather, not all is equal and not all that is sold as motorcycle grade clothing is really motorcycle grade.

Stick to the big brands that can back their products, and once you get some experience you can experiment because you will know what you are looking for. There are people here that say a $10 helmet for a $10 head, same goes for gloves, jackets, pants, boots...

13. Thanks for your help everyone. I'm off Monday to purchase! After reading your comments I've decided to do the face to face thing for my first gear purchase and then graduate to online when I know more about the different types of gear available.

Thanks again!

14. So you think the woven Kevlar in the Hornee jeans isn't as good as the knitted kevlar in the Draggins? I've read quite a bit about the difference between the two and never seen it said before that they're not "motorcycle grade".

To the OP, yes reputable brands are good, but some have a brand name markup on them that isn't justified by significantly higher quality. Alpinestars is a brand that jumps to mind. Yes, it's good stuff, but they do charge a premium for it..

15.  Top
  16. Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm all kitted out...now I've just got to learn to ride! :)

17. That's would be quite important I think. :p

18. Sorry for the delay in replying, the reason I say it is not fit for purpose is that woven kevlar, used by Hornee and others is a cheap, easily available off the shelf product that is designed for protection against stab and slash, but not at all for abrasion protection. That being said in testing a Hornee pair of jeans will last about twice as long as a plain denim pair in testing. The spin off company from Hornee is Sartso, however they have gone for what would seem a slightly cheaper lining and don't test quite as well, but otherwise still the same low quality.

Interestingly to offset this both of these companies claim that they will protect you from abrasion injuries using their "amazing" burst strength, which is stab protection.

Most of the jeans on the market are not using a lining or a fabric specially designed to protect from abrasion injuries despite what their websites claim, and almost none test to the appropriate standards.

There if a difference between Draggin and the others, and that is they develop their own lining, and have a fully CE approved product.