Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

newb questions

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' started by deecee, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hey guys,
    I am brand new here and wanted to say hello. I have been reading on here for a bit but haven't posted.
    Sorry if this is covered, did a search.
    I am thinking about buying my first bike and have been toiling over what to get.
    I reckon it will be out of
    NX650 dominator

anything else that I should look at?

Thoughts on where I can pick one up at a decent price?
    What is a decent price for one of these?
    Anyone got a bike from a wreckers before?
    Have had a bit of experience working on cars so happy to get dirty and have a crack.
    Im in Melbourne's North.
    Plans are to learn to ride on the road and once I get some experience start taking it off road a bit.

Thanks in advance.

2. I just got a suzuki dl650 but probably wouldn't be as good on dirt as a dr650.
  3. Hi deecee and welcome!

We have a DR650 atm and Stookie is really happy with it. Very capable off road, though hard work if he rides it to work (200km round trip) which I think has more to do with the knobbies than anything. We used to have KLR650s which are also good bikes. We rode them through many tracks that most would say they're not suited to without too much hassle. The KLR is taller than the DR, so if height is an issue bear that in mind. I used my highway pegs a lot for longer trips on the KLR as I was a little cramped. I'm 6 feet with legs to my armpits whereas Stookie is 5'9" with a slight case of duck's disease ;)

I bought my first bike from a wreckers. It was a 12 year old GN250 which lasted me 3 months before I blew the engine. Metal shavings all through the engine and the cylinder head destroyed. It chewed through the oil and probably didn't like all the kms I was doing. It cost me $900 on the road.

Enjoy your research. There are so many options!