Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newb - KLE500 Crappy Stand

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 7isenuf, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Howdy. I am very new to riding but have commuted every day a week after first sitting on a bike at the Ls test in Oct 2011. I bought a KLE500. It is the only bike I have ever ridden and I love it. I am sure there are a infinite range of upgrades you could make which would be great to hear about but the first thing I wanted to ask the group was what to do about the stand. I haven't dropped the bike on or off stand but it always feels it is ripe to tip over with the stand feeling short and upright. I thought the centrestand looked the go but I can't find anything that tells me how hard it is to add or how much. It would be great to hear more and especially from others that have the KLE. Stay safe Brett

2. Hey Brett, welcome. I ride a KLR but I am a long-time admirer of the KLE. You don't see too many of them around and it is a beautiful bike. I like to call it the KLR's younger, spunkier sister :)

Any indication that the stand is not original? It's a tallish bike, similar to the KLR so if someone has swapped in a stand from another (shorter) bike that could be the issue. As an interim measure is it possible to install something that extends the length of the stand? You might only need a couple of cm extra to get the bike sitting more stably.

Until you get it sorted try to park with the bike on level, solid ground, pointing slightly uphill if possible (definitely not pointing downhill). If the ground falls away on either side of the bike this will not be helping things ... it will either be leaning too far over to the left (onto the stand) or too far to the right (ready to tip over, away from the stand).

I'll PM you some additional info.