Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newb from SA

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by ScottsRX, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I thought I'd intro myself, I just joined up today but I've been on here recently as a guest reading through the countless posts of great information.

I've been riding bikes since I got my first PeeWee 50 at age 5. Totalled it within 4 days :(

Moved up to dirt bikes until I was 25 when I realised I couldn't afford to injure myself and be out of work for too long. Both my younger brothers still ride but the youngest, 15, broke both legs and the other, now 27, is just getting back on after doing his wrist and ankle. One at home on the practice track and the other in a pre-race meet. Decided I didn't want to end up like that.

I got my bike licence about 10 years ago and restored an ER185 that my old man got given. Rode that on my L's for a while but got a bit bored and couldn't afford anything bigger so I turned it into a farm hack and moved on to Rotary Mazda's.

I've decided it's time to get back on the bike. The Mrs has given the two thumbs up so I've been trawling the net, Motorcyle Trader, Just Bikes etc. to see what's on offer. I've also been checking out reviews for a suitable bike.

I will be commuting to and from work, approx 50kms each way. It will be about 50/50 city riding/country riding.

I've never ridden a sports/road bike before but I'm confident that I will pick it up pretty quickly.

I'm looking in the 600cc range and have narrowed my choices down to an XJ6N, FZ6N or Z750. I don't want a pure sports bike and I'm not a huge fan on fairings as I know I'm going to drop it.

Depending on how it goes I'd say my first bike will either be traded for something bigger within 2 years or I'll sell it off if I'm just not that into it.

I've been looking at higher kms bikes, around the 30-40k. I realise this is a few kms and considering I'll probably be adding close to 20k each year I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not so I'd love to hear any advice from others who have experience in this area.

Thanks for all the info thats already on here, I'll continue reading and learning.

Cheers,
    Scott.

2. Welcome to Netrider :)

just a note on the Z750: Bike magazine recently described it as 'a big bucket of lard', I didn't know, but apparently it's actually HEAVIER than the Z1000 :shock: