Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New..well..everything

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by daiakuji, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Hi All

I randomly stumbled across these forums while looking up more info about obtaining a Riders License.

So just some small info and intro
    I'm hopefully grabbing my learner's permit from HART@St Ives on the 19/20th this month. I have no experience on a bike (asides from the ol' pedaller), so I'm excited but nervous at the same time.

Was keen on getting a 250R Ninja to tide me over til I get my full license and want to upgrade at first, but after reading the "Advice for beginners: get a POS", I'm beginning to have second thoughts. So I'm thinking about grabbing a 2nd (or more) hand 1997 CBR250RR.

Quick question, redbooks says that the bike's private price should be around $2,800 - $3,300, but it's priced at $5k. Is that a reasonable price?

I have a few cousins in Singapore that ride but unfortunately, they all had accidents and moved to "cagers" (I think that's the term coined lovingly around here).
    But still, I'd like to experience the ride and primarily just aiming to cruise around on the weekends. Maybe when I'm confident, I'll ride to work once in a while.

Just like to say thanks to everyone in the new riders forums because after lurking around, it's made me more aware.
    Hopefully would like to join the Sunday beginners riders club once I get my Ls!

-Leo

2. Welcome to Netrider, daiakuji !
    Best of luck in getting your L's and moreso with your bike 'hunt'.

Try sitting on a few and see which bikes feels right for you...unless, of course, you've already done this and happy with the CBR250RR.

There are many bikes listed under LAMS, and to get a better feel for this, if you haven't done so already, try a search (using search function above) on 'LAMS'.. I'm sure that will keep you busy for a while.
    Netrider is a great place to not only meet some fantastic like-minded individuals but to also learn a great deal on our much loved pastime : Riding !

Best wishes,
    Nick

3. Thanks for the warm welcome, Nick

I've spent the last couple of days reading over old posts with great debates over LAMS bikes, gear, insurance etc So I think I have an idea of what I'm going to get and have set my budget for the lot to around $8k (1.3k gear, hopefully going to have time to pop into MCAS in Syd to try them on)

In terms of the bike, I'm trying to keep an open mind now and am looking at either a VTR250, ZZR250 or a CBR250 (RR maybe, but not a must have anymore).

The VTR is close to me and everyone's saying it's a great L's bike, the ZZR is a bit far and I've read around that you need to inspect these old bikes (which I'll be hopeless at noticing)...but is cheaper by $1k to the VTR.

At the moment, I'm just oogling and drooling over these bikes but I guess the best thing for me to do is go out and try them rather than impulse buy...and also pass the pre-learners :oops:

4. don't write off buying a LAMS option, and buying a p.o.s. is good advice, but not necessarily pertinent to everyone.

5. welcome :)

a fair few cbr250rr's have been thrashed, or so i am informed ;)

i went a gpx (not very old) and was and still am happy with it :) but if i had of had more cash at the time, i have heard good things bout some of the bigger lams bikes (sv, gs500 etc)

cheers :)

6. I'd be looking at a bigger LAMS bike over the CBR250RR, man those things are uncomfortable and need a handful of revs. A GS500, SV650 or some of the older 500s would be a nicer bike to ride but not as cool ;)

Cheers
    Steve

7. Welcome to NR !!
    Good to see you've been doing a little ground work.
    All bikes you list are good ones to start off with. My choice would be the VTR.
    With LAMS, the options increase and bikes like the GS500 may be worth a look.

Good Luck !!

8. The CBR's enjoyed an inflated price because untill recently they were the prettiest, high revving, 4 cyl, sportsbike like 250.

However, with the advent of the LAMS scheme up to 660cc, and frankly sportier LOOKING bikes like the new ninja 250, more capable bikes like the susuki gsxf, the cbr is looking like a poor, thrashed out option.

The tech in those bikes is great, but they cant really outrun even a vtr up to a 100kph. They handle well, but are ageing. Should see the price of CBRS come down DRASTICALLY in the next year or two. I'd stay away for now.

9. Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

In regards to the bigger bikes, I've been a bit skeptical to look into them as I figured that more cc = more power in that sense. I think I sorta get the whole LAMS power ratio thing so that would mean the GS500 is heavier than the 250s?
    What are the advantages of the GS500 over say the VTR250?

Liq - I've also looked into a few 2009 ninja 250s that are goin on sale second hand. They generally have low K's but I have a feeling that they've been mistreated..hence the lower pricing and lack of info in the advert.
    I've considered buying new (and hopefully there's still the 500 cash back option) but I think it's more practical to get a relatively new/low km's bike then switch once I'm on my fulls.

10. Maybe, but if you buy the bike thats most popular *now* it means by the time you want to sell it, so will everyone else. Probably loose a lot on the showroom $.

11. Hi and Welcome.

What ever happened to the short and sweet intro :LOL:

But good luck with.......Well everything :LOL:

Cheers Bru

12. Hey all, wasn't sure whether to post my experience in a new thread or bump up and old one but just figured I'll add on here.

Just got back from Day 1 at St Ive's HART and wow...I feel mentally drained from trying to absorb all the info I've learnt today. The bikes were CBF250's and I found that I was having trouble pushing the bike while the engine's off. I'm about 168cm...so I guess that's something to consider when I'm buying a bike (able to sorta have more of my feet on the ground).

I think I frustrated the instructor a few times with braking and starting off. I was surprised I didn't get called off the course completely!
    With braking, I think I kept applying the front brakes too early and squeezing too hard. I found even a light tap would jerk the bike! But I got a bit better towards the end...just got to remember clutch in after braking.

Towards the end of the day, I found myself stalling the engine from the start. I did it before fine but at the last activity, I think I restarted the engine 3 times before I got my butt into gear :shock:

Other than that, it was kinda fun riding around in circles. Still need to practice the whole "keep your eyes leveled on the horizon while turning", braking and moving off from the start.

Overall, I had a fun experience! Hopefully I won't stuff up as much tomorrow :shock:
    My instructor's a top bloke and I hope that I don't tick him off too much...

PS Apologies for blogging :p