Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New WA rider, hello all!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by hadricus, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Hey all,

After holding on to a learners permit for a good 4 years, and moving back to a city job after working FIFO, I'm biting the bullet and moving forward with my license. Exam is booked and bike bought - a 2008 V-Star 650 Classic.

I'm here to lurk and learn from the large number of clearly experienced riders that inhabit these forums. Hopefully, one day, I can do something to contribute back. I'm currently designing a bike computer based on raspberry PI to provide GPS, GPS tracking, tacho (for those bikes lacking them), and other useful features.

Cheers all!
  2. Welcome to the forum mate.

Don't know if there are any 'clearly experienced riders' around here though!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. welcome aboard :]
  4. Welcome mate
  5. Welcome to the whacky, informative world of NR. Lots to learn from most on NR and not all is bike related either! Good luck with the test.:cat:
  6. Welcome!
  7. Welcome Hadricus, The RasPi project sounds interesting, if you are using the 2 version have you heard of the Camera Shy crash. A Xenon flash will cause the processor to crash.

We had a go for a mates bike of a digital dash based on a 8 bit processor. Worked pretty well, he came up with a user interface based on the bike current switches. Side stand up run mode, speedo, tacho, trip meters temp oil etc. Side stand down program mode, blinker scroll left and right, horn enter or accept. Various modes, Track mode gave you Laptimes, Fastest Lap, Averages etc.

What we did learn is the noisy environment that is Automotive electrics, go for plenty of noise suppression and spike protection on your incoming power supply. I'd be interested to hear of your progress. (y)