Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New VTR250 Prices.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Adam C. Clifton, Oct 18, 2007.

1. I have been looking around at prices for new VTR250s in Melbourne and from what i see everyone is paying close to the asking price.

+ At Peter Stevens in the city i was quoted $7300 (inc ORC) altho all the warning stickers on it were in japanese.
    + On the user garage section of this site the quoted paid prices seem to be above that on average.
    + The bikes listed on trading post are about $7999.
    + And newer used bikes seem to be at the $7000 mark as well.

So my question is do i have much haggle room at all as it seems everyone is paying the asking price?
    And should i just try to make my discount on buying gear with the bike?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll post picures when I drop it so you can all laugh at me.
  2. Hi Adam and welcome to NR. Good choice of ride.

I think you will find there is not a lot of room for them to move on the price of the bike.

Like you say better to go for a big discount on gear or see if they will chuck some stuff in for you as a sweetener.

Just be aware that they are introducing LAMS in Vic middle of next year and that will have an effect on your resale if you plan to sell it when you get off your restrictions.

Good luck!

Oh and the warning stickers are all like that.
  3. Good choice of bike.

I think people are overestimating the effect LAMS will have on the bike market in Victoria. Even in Sydney, were LAMS has been in place for quite a few years now, VTR250's still hold their value well.

Despite it only being a 250, it's light, reliable, easy as hell to ride and cheap to register. When going any higher it can be a bit of a lottery as to which of the above features you'd like to loose.
  4. A VTR250 is LAMS approved, so why would LAMS introduction have a downward effect on VTR250 values ?

5. Because there would be less demand for 250cc bikes as a whole because now people can go out and ride bigger capacity bikes on their learners or probationary/restricted license.
  6. Yes, but good luck finding bikes bigger that 250cc for the price you pay for a 250cc, if anything, LAMS will inflate the price of the larger capacity LAMS approved bikes rather than lowering the price of the 250cc range. Everyone said the same thing when it was introduced in SA, but the only bikes that lost out were the 250 2-strokes that were no longer learner approved, but they still had their uses, so they just took longer to sell...or they got sold to Victorians! :wink: