Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New VTR250 - out of brake fluid after 300k's

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by krisbell, May 26, 2008.

1. Hi all,

Title says it all really - I have just purchased a brand new Honda VTR250 which I have so far been delighted with. However, I checked my fluid levels today for the first time properly since after purchase and cannot see any brake fluid in the front brake reservoir at all. I have only done 300k's and filled up once and whilst I have been enjoying the occasional burst of speed and practised a couple of emergency stops I havent been flogging it. I havent noticed any leaks either and the brake still seems to function well though is purhaps now squeaking a little. Is this a common problem? Does it require mechanical attention or can I just top it up myself? How long does it normally take brake fluid to leave the system?

Many thanks from a noob, Kris
  2. It should take a hell of a lot longer to exit the system, if at all. Usually brake fluid will dirty before you start to get low.

To top it up, just do a youtube search for "brake bleeding" which should give you a good idea of what to do.

It sounds like you have a leak somewhere.
  3. If it's brand new, take it back to the shop. I wouldn't go fiddling with it myself. Just go back to the shop. Get them to sort it.
  4. +1 take it to the shop.

If it got no brake fluid, the brakes won't work... so be careful
    riding to the shop.

Also, are you holding the reservoir level when you check it
    (not the bike, not the handlebars, but the reservoir?)
  5. Are you sure it's empty. No offense but brake fluid can look pretty clear when new and sometimes there isn't a visible air bubble in the sight glass. I'm fairly sure we had a similar thread from a newbie in the past who discovered to their embarrassment that the reservoir was in fact full when they took it into the dealer.
    If it had leaked out the entire contents of the reservoir in a short period of time there should be some pretty tell-tale signs (like brake fluid everywhere), and if the dealer had forgotten to put any in then the brakes wouldn't work at all.
  6. Thanks for all your responses guys.

I'm holding the bike level and the bars level so the reservoir is pretty level as well. Not sure how I would get the reservoir perfectly level without pivoting the bike on its front wheel!

I called the shop this morning and they are going to take a look at it. I agree it seems unlikely that it is totally out when it is brand new, has no obvious signs of leakage and the brakes still work fine. I had contemplated that it was just completely full but I cant see any air bubble at all and it looks as if there is condensation on the inside of the reservoir glass which means there cant be any fluid where the condensation is. The brakes are also a tiny bit squeaky but I'm not sure if this would be a symptom of low fluid or just the fact they are new brakes. Anyway, I'm taking it to the shop this afternoon so we'll see how it goes - I wont be too embarrased if it is full (in fact I'd rather it was then there be a leak already), its what being a noob is all about. I'd be more embarassed if I made the same mistake after 20 years of riding!

Many thanks once again for all your help, Kris
  7. +1. I'm going to guess that its just too new to see any fluid. Easy way to find out is to take the cap off and look. If you had no fluid in your resivour then I doubt you would be able to stop.
  8. OK I lied - I am embarrased :oops: I popped the cap off and its full to overflowing with fluid! I guess I'm such a technophobe I didnt want to unscrew anything for fear of breaking seals/letting dust in etc etc.
  9. Make sure it dont get on yer paint dude!
  10. Hey dont worry. Another great advantage of learners bikes is that you can fcuk around with them. Learn how to do all your basic mechanical stuff now on your 250 then look forward to saving $$$ on your future bikes as you'll be able to work on them.
  11. [​IMG]

Don't be :oops: , You've just begun your journey here. Whilst it's not recommended you fiddle with things you know nothing about, a little knowledge and initiative goes a long way. This is 'normal' user maintenance, checking fluids, tyre press, oil levels, chain tens & lube etc..
    Make it habit to check these things on a weekly basis.