Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Urals for Australia

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by jd, Dec 20, 2007.

1. I believe there was a failed attempt to bring these here in the past but looks like this time around it might actually happen. Bike's still very much WW2 BMW but they have at least now been updated with electronic ignition (source from Ducati strangely enough), a Brembo 4-pot front brake and electric start. Capacity's also been increased to 750cc, though power output is just 40hp. No info on price yet but I notice on the US site they're priced from 9 grand so guessing it'd be upwards of 15 grand here at least. Still for those with the cash to spare it's certainly something different, and could make a good wet-weather alternative to a car.

[​IMG]
    http://www.imz-ural.com.au/

2. Does it come with a case of Vodka, and honorary membership of the KGB :LOL:???

3. Can this machine carry 2 passengers?

4. Could Steve now be able to make the jump over the barbed wire fence :LOL:

5. With 40hp and a sidecar?

Yes. But plan on being late alot.

6. It looks like the motorcycling equivalent of a Lada Niva

7. fcuk no. You can have an electra enfield outfit for around $10'000, seems more appropriate.

8. Smith tested an earlier version of this outfit years ago... he said it was comfortable up to a max of about 80kph.

Realistically it doesn't offer any more performance than an Enfield, parts would be harder to get and it'd cost more.

The main advantage over the Enfield is that the Cozy sidecar is very small; it's a copy of the shape of another earlier chair but at about 3/4 scale.

Personally If you want an outfit I'd go and see either Highway sidecars (who do quite a range including ones like my HRD) or Premier sidecars and fit it to a bike with a bit more power than either the Enfield or the WWII BMW copy.

9. That's 8k for a 500cc Enfield and 3k for a partially assembled sidecar without a mounting kit. So 15k for a 750cc ready to go wouldn't be unreasonable, and highly unlikely it'd cost the same or less than in the US.

10. I used to possess photographic evidence that you can get 20-30 people on a Cossack (generic UK slang for Russian bikes in general and boxer twins in particular) outfit. And still move.

Very popular in the UK, mainly due to cheapness. I always lusted after one during my Eastern Bloc biking days.

Hopefully things have changed now, but once upon a time, Commie bikes tended to have excellent but outdated engineering combined with non-existent quality control. Get a good one and it would run forever and cost nothing. Get a dog and it would never be right.

Quite a few folk stuck R80 engines in them to get more power and modern electrics/carbs.

In general, Russki boxers always appealed to the eccentric end of the market, rather than the out and out nostalgics who tended to buy the Enfields. I'd certainly reckon that the Ural would be a better chair puller (more torque, stronger frame, shaftie, car type clutch), having been designed with three wheel work in mind.

I'd rather take a chance on one of these than buy a Hyundai. Even at 15 grand, as long as you go into it eyes open I reckon you'd get a lot of metal for the money. Just don't expect it to be plug and play like a modern bike.

11. I always thought if they'd only chop off the sidecar and just sell bikes, it would make an appealing proposition for someone interested in in a currently produced retro bike - competition for the Enfield.

As for the Urals, especially Gear-Up model which has a drive shaft going out to the sidecar wheel, apparently they are unstoppable in the offroad, muddy conditions and many owners treat them as small 4WDs, using them for camping and hunting trips. Load their gear into the sidecar, and off they go into the woods...

12. And R80 powered outfits are underpowered too... they will struggle to hold 100kph up a hill and will seriously lack overtaking ability.

The 50ps of the R80 is only 25% more than the 40ps of the original motor (although the reliability is probably better).

Maybe an earlier pre strangulation R100 motor (if you can find one) at 70 ps...

13. They do have this available in the US:
    [​IMG]

14. I wouldn't disagree with you there and would favour the R100 unit myself, particularly under Australian conditions. However, context is important.

All of the bikes that got the R80 treatment that I was aware of were the earlier (sometimes much earlier) 650s and had a lot less than 40ps available in original form.

The Cossack outfit was a machine that appealed to much the same people as old, leaf-sprung Land-Rovers do. For these people, 100 km/h is roughly equivalent to the sound barrier :grin: . As an ex L-R owner, I can assure you that you get used to it. Anyway, you don't need to outrun aggressive cagers when you've got a light machine gun mounted on the chair :LOL: .

In the UK, distances between destinations tend to be shorter and (and this, I think, is significant) there is usually a route available between any two points that doesn't require high (as in greater than 90 km/h) sustained cruising speeds or much in the way of overtaking. As someone who covered many thousands of miles on bikes with no performance (and the aforesaid Landy), you tend to get your entertainment from aspects other than sheer speed, and plan your trips around longer point to point times.

All that said, whilst I hope that the Urals are successful here (I still want one after all), I am a little concerned that too many people will buy them expecting to get a W650 or new Bonneville and proceed to slag the bike off when it wilts.

Like I said earlier, it's important to accept these bikes for what they are. Which is, regardless of how many disc brakes, electronic ignitions and Mikuni (or whatever) carbs they might have, a 1940s motorcycle with all the attendant limitations. I could live with that but I'm also able to accept that many could not, particularly at the likely retail price.

But then, enough people pay ludicrous prices for VW based trikes, most of which are badly built, pig ugly, unreliable rubbish, to sustain maybe half a dozen professional builders. Why wouldn't a vastly superior machine for half the price succeed?

Shame the 2wd machine will never be road registerable :( .

15. I would love one of these I would be able to sell the car and just have bikes :grin:
    I is a real shame that the 2wd is not able to registered as I think it would have been a good seller in the adventure bike segment . Just think of the place you could go and all the extra gear that you could carry .

Does anyone know the reason the 2wd cannot be registered ?

16. It's only available with the sidecar on the right.

17. Mind you, given decent ground clearance, an athletic passenger and a reasonably knobbly back tyre, even a conventional outfit will go places most other vehicles could not.

18. Which is better, Royal Enfield or a Ural?

19. personally i would have to say the Ural as I like the shaft drive and the fact that the bike has been designed to haul a sidecar