Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New tyres

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Tack, Feb 2, 2005.

1. I just got a 1991 GSX250R with 13000k's on the clock. However the tyres have never been changed in that time---thats 14 years! I did a durometer test on the tyre and they are as hard as a car tyre...lol.

So I was gunna learn to ride for a short while before changing them. My question is what tyre brand and type would you guys reckon is the best tyre for me.

Just so you know, I'm a brand new rider, I need time to learn so I'll be staying mostly close to town before venturing out into the country..I'm guessing this ofcourse because I dunno how best to learn yet...I am not fussed about how long they will last...a year or two is fine.

I have worked for motorsport tyre companies (car not bike although worked on sidecars at SBK) and for wet weather we always worked on the principle..." for the wet...pattern to disperse the water, compound to get the grip". So I'm happy to get a softer compound if it means better wet weather grip. I imagine thats when most people fall off??

the front currently is a 100/80 x16 50S Dunlop K63 OF, and the rear is a 130/80 x16 64S Dunlop K63 O.

So, anybody got some advice? Brand and type?

2. How long did they last Marty?....

Does everyone ride on radials or crossplys'?

3. I thought so...I thought that most bike tyres were crossplys and that radial tyres were now becoming available.

A guy told me the other day that there are better compounds available since my 'old' tyres were made so I thought that maybe the new 'silica' compounding may have come in....dunno

If bike tyres are anything like car tyres in principle then radials will have far less block distortion than a crossply however I don't know how the different constructions will affect contact patch size and/or sidewall distortion. I don't know nothin about bike tyres...lol. And to be realistic I don't know that the different construction will make much difference to me for a few years (or more) until I learn to ride properly. But just interested anyway.

4. Hate to say it Tack but I think it will be more "Try and Try".

My SV650 S has had 3 Differnt tyre on it until I found the one I like for commuting. I chose Bridgestone BT020. So far 12,000 and still going strong.

5. From my understanding Radial tyres run cooler than crossplys and hence last longer. Crossplys (as the name suggests) have plys (cords generally of nylon) that cross over each other, this can generate heat as the cords rub against each other as the tyre flexes in use.

Generally smaller bikes with less weight & horsepower do not abuse a tyre as much as a larger bike so heat generation is not so much of a problem, that is why you see small size tyres still available in crosply contruction as opposed to larger size (for larger size bikes) tyres.

6. I dont think you would find a x-ply to fit your bike.. I've only seen them in specific size/profiles, usually to fit low performance bikes.

I'd personally take a pirelli or a bridgestone - both have been great for me.. a "sport-touring" model should be fine.

I wouldnt use those 14 year old tyres at all... using sub-standard tyres while you are learning, when you are at the most risk of stuffing up

7. Soft compound or sports tyres are only good if you get them up to temp, e.g. in race/ track conditions, that's what they are designed for. if you want a tyre that performs best go for a OEM tyre. same as big bore sports bikes; so many times guys put the softest (=most expensive) hoops on their bikes when all their riding in street/commuting conditions. All for "street cred"! when a OEM tyre wil grip better and last longer. :)

8. I just rang round and it looks like there are only a couple of tyres in that size ---one is the Dunlop GT301 and the other is a Metzeler. These are the only two I know of so far.

thanks for your advice guys.

9. Depending on your rim widths, you may be able to go a little bigger in tyre size which will give more options.

10. ok, one guy said that changing tyre size affects bike road worthy..is that right???

11. Small changes in tyre size will not affect the bikes roadworthy status, going too large or small will definately affect the handling of the bike and cause it to be unsafe.

The widths of all rims are moulded into the wheel some where; for example the front wheel may be a 2.5 x 16, the rear might be a 4.00 x 16 (2.5 meaning two & half inches and 4.00 equals 4 inches)

12. Non standard tyre sizes can make a bike non ADR compliant but that is not necessarily an unroad-worthy condition (I think).

13. 250's tend not to go thru tyres at quite the rate of a bigger bike so go with the best money can buy. Dunlop GPR70's. They are the shizznit for 250's. Worth every penny. At the end of the day tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road. Get the best you can. I used to get 10,000+ out of a set on my NSR250.

14. I'd be inclined to stick with the manufactures standard sizes, esp for the front.

I've heard of people going up to a 190 from a 180 (and the opposite) for the back tyre (speed of steering vs grip-level I think).

15. On a friends FZR250R I went from a 100/80x17 to a 110/70x17 on the front and a 130/80x17 to 140/70x17 on the rear and it improved the steering & handling, in fact Yamaha did the same thing on the next model to come out.

I think when you start to juggle tyre brands & sizes it is always a gamble/experiment, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

16. Moving 1 size from standard is fine for both front and rear.

17. interesting....
    On the front, I have 110/70x17 and on the rear a 140/70x17 (Bridgie)
    on my zx750F Kwaka
    they are the standard sizes for the bike too

no wonder the boys say I leave black lines outta corners :p