Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New tyres

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by TitsMcGee, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Don't do what I did:

- get a new rear tyre
    - pull out of service centre as I normally would
    - back wheel slides out
    - bike goes down
    - hilarity ensues.

2. Hehe heard of that a lot, they don't provide much grip.. watch out when it's wet especially or try not to ride in these conditions until they're scrubbed in.. That can take usually 100-150 so be careful when you get back on
  3. Did it have to go straight back into the service centre?

That sucks dude. But how do you define "pull out of service centre as I normally would"? Full throttle, doing a wheelie around the corner?
  4. That's your issue right there, should have pulled out a lot more gently than normal..
  5. Did they not put a big yellow warning sticker on your triple clamp in relation to the new tyres?
    Regardless, you will pay more attention now when you a new tyre fitted and scrub it in accordingly.
    Might not have been so funny if you were in traffic............

6. Yeah I was pretty lucky it was on a quiet back street with no cars around.

I've got a drz400sm so the only damage was a scratch to the barkbusters :)
  7. ah. The drz. So you did wheelie around the corner. :p
  8. heh, wonder if lightly abrading new tyres w/ say 400 grit paper would help strip that protective wax?
  9. well as a guide I just did 77 kays on a new Metzler Roadtec Z8 on the Hornet. Up Macquarie Pass (chasing a well-driven Civic Type R :LOL:) and back down Jamberoo Pass. The tyre is nicely scrubbed, thank'yup :LOL:

If it's any consolation, I saw a guy do exactly that trick pulling out from Trevor Jordan's onto Corrimal Street in Wollongong; all the more hilarious because I HEARD the mechanic who'd just fitted the new rear tyre TELL HIM to take it easy for the first few days.

It was a very expensive drop; the bike was a ZX-10 and the fall snapped the rear-set bracket clean off :shock:.
  10. Well..you could say, you went tits up!

Seriously, jokes apart - glad that you are ok and this didn't happen in a busy area.

Ride Safe. (y)