Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New tyres on 94 VFR750 *Advice please*

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by VFR750 IRYDE, May 25, 2008.

1. I'm just off my restrictions and buying a 65,000km 1994 VFR750. Needs new tyres.

I read the complete 'touring tyres on sports bikes' thread, and gathered that Michelin Pilot Road 2's are a safe bet, given that my bike is a sports tourer, and I am not a 10 10ths kind of rider. (mostly freeway and suburban commute too and from work. Weekend scratching, but never fully committed. ) :shock:

My question relates to sizes.

The OEM's are 120/70-ZR17 170/60-ZR17. Can I expect any benefit going to wider tyres? What is the effect of wider tyres? Some people seem to think that wider is better so long as it doesn't rub...?

Please offer your opinions on which tyres to use for my bike, and what sizes are best. Thankyou!
  2. Wider tyres generally offer more surface area when the bike is leaned right over to the point that your pegs are scraping. Even then there's not a big difference between skinnier tyres and fatter tyres, until you go to put the power down. Wider tyres will wear less and offer a bit better traction if you're trying to maximise your velocity out of the corner with a strong throttle-on. This comes at the expense of a slight loss in steering nimbleness as the profile is flatter.

By your own confession you're not out to crack the next lap record, and so it's not something you really need to worry about (fitting wider tyres that is).

Just go with the OEM recommended sizes and you'll be just fine.
  3. VFR tryes

I would stick with the OEM for the front but go to a 180/55/17 for the rear it’s the same as the later VFR's and it a more common size so it should be cheaper.
    I recommend Bridgestone BT014 or BT015 as they will be the best for that style of bike.
    The Michelin’s are very good but are at least $50.00 more than the Bridgestone and wear out quicker.
    I run that exact size on my Monster 900 and my brother on his 2000 VFR800 for the last 5 years.
    It comes down to personal choice and how you ride, if you are a weekend rider only I would go with the top of the line sports tyre, if you do some commuting as well go with the Bridgestone, you wont be disappointed.
  4. Be careful of the rim width... the last thing you want to be doing is putting a tyre that is too wide for the rim on, that will stuff up wear and handling.
  5. tyres

Very true about the rim width, that’s why should always use a reputable tyre supplier.
    But I think you will find that the rim is the same size as the later model.
    If is smaller just stick with the OEM size's but defiantly use the Bridgestone’s.
  6. Well I bought some tyres.

In the end it's the Bridgestone BT021s, cos no one could get the Sport 2's in a hurry.

I went with a 180mm rear, as the rim sizes are identical and the bike has plenty of clearance.

Thanks for your thoughts! See you on the road.
  7. Glad to see you are happy, the BT021 is a good sports/touring tyre that will give you plenty of life.
    And good to see that you could take the 180 rear.
    You could not have picked a better bike for your first bike after your restrictions, have fun and safe riding.

8. BT-021 is a fine tyre, use them myself. Just be aware with the early VFRs that a difference in tyre size DOES make a big difference to their already unique handling; next time I would advise that you stick with the manufacturer's recommended sizing, front and rear.
  9. You'll not be surprised I'm guessing to hear that the 180 rear DIDN'T fit after all due to a lack of clearance from the swingarm, so a 170 has been ordered. The old tyre is still roadworthy, just flat bottomed. :(

Very much enjoying the riding experience tho!
  10. heh heh, I have a brother with a VFR and he had exactly the same thing happen, which is why I said what I said. Never mind, it will 'tip in' better with the right-sized tyre anyway :).