Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New tyre time?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Oldteach, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Hello Everyone,

Having a look at my current tyres I think they may need replacing. I have posted a current picture to get some feedback.

I have read the tyre wear thread and can not seem to find the indicator, it may be that I am blind as a bat or have left it waaaaaay to late, either way not a good sign ;) .

cheers,

Oldteach

Attached Files:

2. Yes, replace. The wear bars are small ridges at right angles between the tread blocks, usually with arrows on the sidewall to show where on the tyre they can be found. When the tread block is worn down level with the bar it's all over. All of your wear is down the centre so the wear bars are probably still good. But the tyre should go.

3. Cool, thanks for that. Was on that train of thought too, tyre shopping here I come!

4. #4 Tas man, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
    Minimum legal tread depth is 1.5mm across the entire face of the tyre. If the tread in ANY part has worn below that minimum, then it is legally unroadworthy. That the tyre has not yet work to the tread wear bars is not a legally enforceable defence.

Based on that information, the decision on whether to replace or not is yours.

Edit due to fat fingers.....it's 1.5mm, not 1.6

5. You should be good for roundabouts for a while yet though ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Maybe it's just the angle, but that tyre looks very 'square'.

7. Also - can you let me know where to get Flintstone tyres.....?

I need some replacements for this:
    Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.