Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Turno and RSV4

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Jem, Nov 9, 2014.

1. http://motorbikewriter.com/aprilia-tuono-v4-1100-beefed/

Aprilia Tuono

Aprilia has given its street-fighting Tuono V4 more punch with a bigger engine.

[​IMG]
    Aprilia Tuono Factory

The 1000cc V4 engine has been bored out to 1100cc with power up 7kW to 130kW and torque up to 8.5Nm to 120Nm.

Meanwhile, the Tuono’s seat height has been lowered 15mm to 820mm and the handlebars have been narrowed for a more rider-focused and aggressive attitude to match the power boost.

Aprilia has also revamped the chassis and further developed their APRC electronic systems package.

They also revealed an RR and higher-spec Factory version at the EICMA show in Milan.

Just days after winning both the World Superbike rider and manufacturer titles, Aprilia released its new RSV4 in RR and RF variants.

[​IMG]
    Aprilia RSV4 RR

The biggest update is the engine which now breaches 200hp. The 65-degree V-4 generates 150kW at 13,000rpm up from 132kW at 12,500rpm and 115Nm of torque at 10,500 rpm which is the same as the previous model.

Aprilia lifted the compression ratio from 13:1 to 13.6:1 and updated the cam timing and profile, ports shape, dynamic air intakes, and airbox.

The RR and RF come with all Aprilia’s electronic hi-tech gizmos and are shod with Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa radials in 120/70-17 and 200/55-17 sizes.

[​IMG]
    Aprilia RSV4 RF

The RSV4 RR has Sachs suspension and cast aluminum wheels, while the RSV4 RF gets an Öhlins fork and shock, and forged aluminum wheels. The braking system are the same as the Tuono V4 1100, with twin Brembo 320mm discs and M432 radial-mount calipers.

April also showed the new Caponord 1200 Rally model which was unveiled at the Intermot show in Cologne last month.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Narrow handlebars seems to be a backwards step for tuono.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I wonder if it will go more than 200kms on a tank now?

4. The way Aprilia goes about these things, I suspect the bike is all the better for it. They don't look narrow as such, but more like "just right", down from "a bit wide".

They've done a lot of work internally, and the lengthy press release I saw somewhere suggests worthwhile improvements with (hopefully) the niggles that pretty much everyone agrees about sorted.

If that proves to be the case, I'd expect some rave reviews once they get ridden. That's my hope anyway.

Add the extra cubes for the Tuono on top of all that (not to mention the new styling) and it starts to sound both wilder but at the same time better mannered for the street.

5. I've still got the gen1 on my bucket list.

6. I did too, but I've amended the list.

7. Back to back... The wide bars gave it a unique character and punting along at 1-1.5 was probably more fun on the tuono than the rsv4.... The bars were one of my favorite, and most memorable aspects of the old bike.

Still.... Those engines.... 200hp or 1100cc......

8. Who cares?
    I didnt buy a tuono for the fuel economy. I bought it because it us fcuking awesome and for the way it makes me feel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. What he said.

10. Cue the butthurt rantings of owners of the previous model whenever a new model comes out that is an improvement.

Some people still whinge about fuel injection and not being able to do the ignition timing themselves by adjusting the points.

I actually like when things are improved.

11. Meh, if it ain't broke...

Tuning a bike went from free and not to hard to very expensive, computers and sensors galore - and I'm yet to be convinced FI is more reliable. There is some justification to their complaints, improved can be in the eye of the beholder - especially when Italian and technology are put in the same sentence.

12. But it was broke - thirsty with poor lower rpm manners, and with a solid basis for comparison when bikes like the S1000RR simply did those things better.

Still a great bike, but the appeal being rooted in it's flaws, generally described as its "character", simply doesn't wash, because nothing about the relative shortcomings can be put down to inherent differences between a 1000cc V4 vs 1000cc I4.

Improving performance across the board while also eliminating annoyances doesn't make a V4 seem like less of a V4, because that strong appeal is still cast in the metal without needing to tolerate the faults, because nothing else on the road offers the same experience.

Keep the character, improve the performance, remove the annoyances - Win-win.

If I pull the choke out on my carbed bike after it's warmed up, it'll use more fuel, run less better, but sound lumpier when I ride past people at the roadside.

If the outgoing Tuono/RSV get substantial discounts once the new models are on the way, then you still get a one of the best for even less than before, and if the new models feel too sanitised, you can stuff some rags in the airbox.

At least they don't have single-sided swingarms.

13. #13 CraigA, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    No butt hurt here buggerlugs!
    I'm extremely happy with the bike i have thanks very much! Can't see the point in upgrading when the new one comes out.

Just sayin i didn't buy a toy like the Tuono with fuel economy or tank range in mind. If that was going to come into the decision at all, I wouldn't have bought one. I don't believe that is what most owners who buy this bike look for or care about, so its a moot point.

Why do you feel the need to shit can it? I don't know what you ride ( I am assuming you actually have a bike), but im sure it has its strong and weak points.

As far as I'm concerned its different strokes for different folks. What you ride may not suit me, but I wouldn't openly shit can it or you for owning one the way you have towards me with your arrogant, smart arsed butthurt comment.

Have you even owned an RSV4/Tuono V4R or do you just like to surf the net reading about various bikes to form your opinions?

14. I wasn't commenting on tuono.

15. Tuono broke or not good enough...Yeah, I guess that's why it's been the benchmark big bore naked bike for so long and it appears it'll still carry on as being the benchmark.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. I didnt say fuel economy. I said range

17. Either way. Its not critical as long as you know your tank range. If it was a tourer, different kettle of fish.

18. Tank size was increased a couple years ago. Either way, who gives a shit!

19. A guy I know had to carry a jerry can just to go to Phillip Island. That would annoy me. Ymmv

I want one except for that

20. #20 CraigA, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    Sounds like bs. There is a difference between "had to" and "chose to".

Where was he travelling from ? Broken hill? My range on a my13 is about 180k on a highway type ride, low throttle, cruising at 110.
    Thats Traralgon to Melb. A my14 has slightly more fuel range due to a slightly bigger tank.

Are there now so few servos in Vic that you can travel across a quarter of the state without seeing one?