Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Traffic Management Strategies

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dan, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Here is an interesting article on an experimental way of managing cars, bicycles and pedestrians through road design without signals or signs - result is slower speeds and faster travel times apparently.

Good read.

2. I'd hardly call a roundabout a new idea....i know a number of them that have accidents at them every day
  3. Was indeed a good read, thanks for the heads up. If anyone was going to do something like that it was bound to be the Dutch, they don't seem to mind trying something different.
  4. :LOL: :LOL:
  5. I'd heard about the town that took away all thier street signs and they found there was fewer accidents, faster trip times and the real kicker for me was that the drivers become more curtious.

Sounds like a bloody good idea to me.

But yer I was surprised by the reverence that was given to a roundabout.
  6. I think there can be good roundabouts and bad roundabouts. I've pretty much never seen a good one in Melbourne. They are usually way too small so that you can only fit a few cars on them at a time and all the rest of the traffic has to wait. Alternatively they are like the roundabout on Royal Parade which is bigish but badly designed with three lanes, tram tracks and too many entry roads.

There are some good roundabouts in Canberra - big (so lots of cars can use them at the same time) with plenty of visability coming up to them so the traffic flows.
  7. For anyone who hasn't read the article, basically their approach is to present users with totally ambiguous road situations, where there is no obvious lanes or rights of passage.

This is intended to slow people down, make them look where they are going, and be responsive to obstacles and other road users.

Have a read if you haven't.
  8. Yes, there are and as an ex-Canberra resident I can tell you that they work well. The "kicker" is that they are placed on very wide, multi-lane roads of which there are plenty in Canberra.

The same approach cannot be taken in Melbourne, for example, because the roads are much narrower, the buildings closer to the road and the footpaths narrower, making it impossible to widen the road and build better roundabouts.

For members who haven't ridden in Canberra, I can tell you that the lanes on ANY multi-laned road are much wider than either Sydney or Melbourne. A 2 lane road in Canberra would be made into a 3 lane road in Melbourne.
  9. Not always the case.....

...... our most famous, and most dangerous roundabout, at the so-called 5-ways at Kirrawee, was bulldozed and had lights installed instead a couple of years ago, because although there were 4 lane roads on all entries and exits, and despite the fact that it was HUGE, probably the biggest in suburban Sydney, it was the daily scene of many accidents, some of them fatal and many serious.

I suspect that the success of the Dutch experiment may not have been as marked if it had been tried with impatient and perenially ticked-off Sydney motorists. That said, anything that will stop people and make them think must have some merit, but my observation is that the average Australian motorist doesn't know the laws concerning roundabout ettiquette, and the rest don't care! (Having lived in Canberra too, I believe the success there is based on the fact that the traffic, if it can be called that, is nothing to speak of, even in peak hour, and Canberra motorists are generally less stressed as a consequence, and therefore more careful and courteous)

10. Sounds exactly like Hobart :shock: :D :LOL: :? :x :evil:

I'm serious, there are so many ad-hoc one way streets, poorly designed roundabouts, 4 lane roads that end and split into three directions at the same place, with the sign that suposedly explains the mess not that far away from the scene of the debacle. The line marking so old and worn that you cannot tell which lane your in on a wet night.

There is one hybrid "round-a-light-a-intersection-a-bout" that is stupendous in it's design, almost impossible to explain, but if you want t go straight across in the south lanes it requires a cut lunch, compass and many left and right turns. Going straight ahead in the other direction is a breeze however. The traffic "planner" must have been on drugs, or the photocopier mangled that bit.

(of course no-one would admit a mistake.... nooo that's not the beaurocratic way)

Net result here is more arrogance, more pushing in, more tailgating to reduce the space and therefore the chances of people pushing in front,and one of teh altime favourites, pushing across the lights even tho you know you wont make it all the way across, then just sit there blocking two directions of traffic.

I shall, later on, when I become more rational :p

11. This is a classic quote from the article:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's a classic.

Try that in the CBD of melbourne, and some bloke will jump out of his ute and go you with a tire iron. Yet, in the Netherlands, the all just pass on by without a fuss... and that can probably be explained by the ready supply of illicit drugs in the country... :LOL:
  12. don't forget the one in Highett.....
    its has a train line thru the middle of it :shock:
  13. naaaah, they have their minds on others things
    from all the legal p0rn....... :p
  14. That is a sensational article. I think I'm going to link to it on my blog! I've always wondered about why our society is so based around cars, and what it would look like if it wasn't.

I love that someone is thinking outisde the square on this, and it looks as though it's catching on. Unfortunately, Australia is pretty backwards in these kind of things, so I wouldn't expect anything soon, but I can still hope.

15. Not that you're biased or anything Mick

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  16. The absolute best is the one in Moe that bridges both the railway line and freeway that appears to warp time and space. A friend of mine christened it the M.C. Escher Memorial Roundabout. Enter and you never know where you might end up...

I'm sure if Brian is lurking about somewhere he'll confirm this one. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  17. Yes!

I knew a Dutch girl once....
  18. slightly outta here, but
    there is one in England..sw suburbs of London
    under one of the motorways (M4 or M25?)
    which actually is a roundabout within a roundabout in a roundabout
    it has traffic lights in one of the roundabouts and you go around one roundabout to get on to it
    and then you find
    the traffic travels BOTH WAYS on the middle roundabout
    yep, you are negotiationg the roundabout in a clockwise
    direction and THEN you spot cars heading towards you on the
    inner lane of the roundabout :shock:
    THAT is traffic management

scared the sheeta outta me first time I used it

19. I've seen a picture of that one somewhere
  20. Anyone here ever experienced "traffic management" in Napoli (Italy)?
    It's a p1sser!
    A teaming, honking horde of Fiats and Alfas forces its way around, completely disregarding lights, crossings and Carabinieri. The crowd of pedestrians waiting to cross builds up and up, until finally they gather the collective impetus and will to force their way en masse onto the road, blocking the vehicles for a time as they stream across. This goes on for some time until the honking from the cars reaches a crescendo and they creep forward inch by inch. Finally one driver will dart forward into the walkers, resulting in blows being rained down on his car, but it's too late, the move is on, and the other drivers press forward their advantage and drive the pedestrians from the road, until the numbers swing against them once again.
    I laughed myself stupid watching this the first time I saw it. Strangely, no-one ever seems to get hurt (apart from a few dented cars).