Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New to the Forum, keep getting pop-ups

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Gus-gort, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Hi, Just left a deposit for 1995 Honda CBR900RR which I intend to pick up next week as I'm doing a refresher course at HART on Friday.

I haven't ridden since 1998 when I sold my last motorcycle after my first child was born, hence the HART course.

I have owned a few bikes, starting with a Yamaha RD400F, then a Kawasaki GPz900r followed by a Moto Guzzi Le Mans and McIntosh BR2. All the bikes I've owned are now too expensive to buy as they've achieved collector status, dang.

In fact the reason I had been looking for an unmolested Honda 900 Fireblade is that I initially wanted to get back on the Kwaka 900 and found good examples fetching near $10,000!

During my research I discovered that the CBR900RR is a lighter and more powerful bike than the GPz900R plus there are stacks around and cheap. Also robust, good-looking and quick.

Very happy now.
  2. Welcome back Gus, and a fine choice of motorcycle Sir.

I feel the Honda mirrors myself as eloquently as your description: Robust, good looking and according to Mrs Lionz waaaaaaaay too quick ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Thanks for the endorsement to me and you Lionz.
  4. Welcome.

Wish I had the sense to get my license back then, I wouldn't be LAMsing it now.
  5. welcome aboard mate :)
  6. I got my licence in 1983 when the capacity limit for 'L' and 'P' plate riders was 250cc but included 2-strokes. I bought the RD400F as my learning bike. It looked identical to the RD250F but somehow the stickers were replaced with '250' ones (don't know how that happened) so I could ride it sorta legally. I knew I would want more power once I became confident and the 400 didn't disappoint. The big deal for me was moving up to the Kawasaki GPz900R. Nowadays at least you can ride something bigger on L plates.

I feel a bit anxious about riding a bike today that's why I'm taking the Advanced-Intermediate course with HART, to ease my way back into all that power.
    The day after the course I'll pick up the Fireblade-I don't mind admitting that I'm a little nervous.

Hey Kalkader, just checked LAMS approved bikes, wow. Cool bikes like Moto Morini 3.5, Ducati Pantah 600SL, Yamaha RD350s and 400s like mine etc. Would kill to be able to have ridden some of the bikes on the LAMS list.

You definately have it better these days.

Thought I should mention that the Fireblade I bought was i_cruise's immaculate 95 Honda CBR900RR, 38,000kms, the 'foxeye' version of the iconic original. In my view, the best version of the 893cc engine in tri-colour red, white and blue.

I can't wait to take it out for a spin, although it's a toy for me and I intend to use it sparingly as unfortunately it would be too painful to hurt it.

I've never had a more enjoyable and respectful buying experience than the one I had with Russell. The bike is immaculate and a credit to him.

If ever he's selling anything on the forum, buy with confidence as he is man of great integrity.
  7. Totally agree about the list and it will improve more this year.

I was the same as you, I had to have a 250 to start with for a year. But I didn't know anyone with a bike to do the Ps test and couldn't afford to buy one (I was at uni). A couple of years later I bought a GSXR750 (H model with 16 inch front) and rode that in the territory, kept it for about 9 months in Qld without a license. I remember lusting over the Le Mans Mk V and GPz900R back then.

8. I hear you brother!
  9. This is me again.

Hope that fixes it.