Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New to Road bikes, Which should I get?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Jesse, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Hey everyone this place looks like a welcoming community so I thought I would try here for answers. I am 16 and currently have my drivers learners and bike learners, but I have only ridden dirt bikes all my life, I have always wanted a road bike and I am looking at a particualr 250, 2006 Model CBR250RR, I was wondering what the difference between the RR and the R model is. And why are they so cheap theyre only $7000 at www.ultimatemotorcycles.com.au. Also How different is it to ride dirt and road bikes? Please help.

Thanks, Jesse
  2. Those CBR250RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR's would have a compliance date of 06, probably manufactured 15 years ago....be VERY careful about these sort of places.
  3. Indeed, there is no such thing as a 2006 CBR250RR
  4. ouch and I thought they were a nice bike, That's pretty deceptive, that must mean im gonna hafta go for something better, I am not buying a bike that has high kilometres, I am not worried about money I just want a fairly nice 250, regardless of people saying fast ones will get me killed, I will learn down the track, I race 400cc dirt bikes, and 250's so I know speed but anyway if someone can suggest a reasonable bike to get and I don't want a cruiser harley wannabe ----
  5. dude $7000 is expensive for a l's bike, also remember, if a bike has 10 000kms on it and is 15 years old, do you seriously believe it?
  6. Well, all 250 road bikes are fairly slow :p

It depends, do you like nakeds? faired?
  7. I prefer bikes that look like racing bikes, ones that arent plain, and have a front end on them, The thing i like about bikes is the power to weight ratio is way way higher than cars so much better pickup.
  8. ...

Here is some experienced distilled into a strong draft for you:

1. If you want to be the usual 16 year old learner smuck, then sure, go out and waste $5-7k on a piece of shit CBR250R or RR that is a 15 year old recycled cut and shut reassembled in Thailand and sprayed in the Phillipines before someone puts an odometer in it that says 12000km and calls it a 2002 model. You'll ride it for your restrictions. You'll think it's the shit of 250s until you get on a 600 and find out it feels like a pushbike. You'll probably drop it and then lose heaps of cash. You'll wise up and pass it on to the next smuck learner for similar cash.

2. If you want to be seriously ahead of the game and not be a smuck 16 year old, then buy a $2-$3k tops 250. GPX250 or CBR250 with cosmetic damage only (that you have inspected BEFORE buying to make sure the damage is only cosmetic). You can ride it for your restrictions. If you drop it, you don't lose much money. It does the same job a rip off CBR would have done and you might even sell it for more than you paid for it at the end of the day. Then you can get a 600 etc. real bike and discover what real motorcycling is.

The choice is yours.

"Gee, that CBR250 looks nice though, doesn't it ... " Smuck. :LOL:
  9. Kane you have probably made the most sense, I DO want a nice bike though, why should I buy one with cosmetic damage, dropping my bike ISNT ineveitabel though. I just want a reliable bike that hasnt been flogged out and one that last me the time i need to get my opens to go bigger, becuz im only 16 I have to wait until I have at least held my opens for a car! thats like 3-4 years. I have seen a few 2000 model bikes around for 3 thousand, So basically get a cheap peice for the experience? I will be riding it alot, My first year diesel fitter apprentice wage only pulls 400 a week:( its not bad though
  10. If you have to ride it for 3-4 years and you have the cash, I might look for an Australian delivered tri-colour CBR250 (I forget if they are the "R" or "RR"). They are white with purple pink something tricolours.

Go to the CBR250 forum (google it) and do your research. Find out everything you can about them. They are a dodgy dodgy bike to buy, but if you get an Australian delivered (1997 latest model i think) AND GET IT INSPECTED BY A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE YOU BUY IT (e.g. try these guys: http://home.exetel.com.au/mis/
    ) that might be about the best you can do.

Compared to a 600 roadie and above though, a CBR250 is still a pushbike. But when you are on a 250, you have to deal with it. Just do yourself a favour, when you can ride a 250, you can keep up with 600s and above if you are trying. But you are at 80%+ and the bike is at 95%+ while the people on the bigger bikes are taking a walk in the park trying at 20% and their bikes less. 250s don't have tyres, they don't have shocks and they don't have brakes. It is the nature of the beast. If something goes wrong, there's not much forgiveness. So do yourself a favour and don't try too hard. The road hurts. When/if you get a bigger bike, you'll understand how much difference there is. It is incredible.

CBR250s stopped being made in 1997 worldwide fullstop as far as I know.

Make sure you get it inspected first. Don't blame me or the seller if you don't.

11. So you are willing to spend 7K for a 250 street bike.
    You want something that hsan't been thrashed and performes like new...

Have a look at the hyosung GT250R

It's a twin so off the line it is probably going to beat a CBR250, or ZX2R and you actually know it has come out of teh factory.

personaly i would agree that you are better off saving the cash and waiting till your restrictions are history and then look at a diecent bike after that (As kane sugested) but at the end of the day it is your cash. read up about complienced grey imports before you make your desision, and work out when they were realy built.

Then it will be your decision, but it will be an informed decision. (Use the search button here and you should find all you need to know)
  12. the difference between the RR and the R is that the RR has twin front discs, and a curved swing arm at the back. the R has single front disc and straight swing arm at the back.

if it is the bike you want, try looking in the papers, you can pick up nic ones for around 4k. just like everyone says, get it proffessionaly inspected. and dont beleive the odometer.

the good side to getting a CBR250RR/R if anything does go wrong with them there are plenty of spare parts around.

if you want a nice sporty, fast 250, go the two stroke. Suzuki RGV250, Aprillia RS250 or TZR250. personally id go the TZR thos things are horn :)
  13. Think about the insurance cost too kid, nobody will touch a 17yo with a pirate bike.

And however much of a king dingaling you may be on a dirt bike, 70% of riders trash their first road bike - usually when they start getting cocky on the road.
  14. Are there any restrictions on what bike you can get on your Ls and Ps in QLD?

In NSW you can't get the 250 two-strokes (Suzuki RGV250, Yamaha RD250, TZR250, Honda NSR250, Kawasaki ?), because they killed so many 16 and 17 year olds through the early 1990s.

Ideally: Professional inspection and wouldn't pay more than $4.5k with service records.
  15. First, buy good safety gears (helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots). Then, set aside about $1000 and see which bikes you can now afford to buy and insure. $1000 is for services/minor repairs and advanced riding course(s).

BTW, don't use your dirt bike helmet on road. My cousin lost a good mate of his because he was wearing a dirt bike helmet.

16. *raises hand*

(but i wasnt being cocky)
  17. My advice as someone with an imported 250:

- 250 sports bike's are a blast to learn to ride on the road with. You can put plenty of power down in a straight line and they're unlikely to stand-up and scare you.

- spare parts for the CBR's are plentiful and therefore cheap. New screen, headlight, front and side fairings for my FZR cost nearly $2000 including straightening of the front forks in an 'unfortunate incident' I had.

If I could do it all again, I would spend less than $5000 on a Honda CBR250RR in as good running condition as I could find.

BONUS Advice - do you have your car license?
    I recommend driving in a car on your own for at least a year or 2 before getting your bike license. It just gives you a really good feel for how other cars behave on the road and that knowledge and anticipation has saved my arse on more than one occasion.

But seeing as how you probably won't wait that long - just be careful :) The RR's have better brakes and will probably pay for themselves the first time some idiot brakes unnceccessarily in front of you.
    Buy a Honda.
    --[or a new Hyosung with factory warranty as someone said! also $1000 for safety gear.]--
  18. Absolutely agree with deadmeat above. That is really top advice. (As is getting the best brakes you can - if my brakes were better, I would not have gone down).

My riding gear was worth more than my 250.

Full 2-piece Tiger Angel leathers
    SMX3 Alpine Star boots
    Tecnic Speedmaster gloves
    Dainese Backprotector

I had the accident I had to have and went down the road on my restrictions, but because I was wearing my safety gear (as always!) I got straight back up with a sore shoulder, a sore hand and a sore heel, but no fractures and no skin off.

Those three bits are still sore months later because shoulder charging the road at 60-80km/h hurts more than you think it will, but surely my injuries would have been much, much worse without decent safety gear.

Your safety gear is more important than your bike.

Never ride without it. Not even down the shop for milk. That could be the ride someone knocks you off. The road won't mind that you are only 2 mins from your house. It will still strip you to the bone in seconds.

Great advice. Servicing as well. Excellent. Bought my bike. Did a few km. Did a major service and found that the rear-suspension was frozen solid (as in, I didn't have any), steering head bearing was shot, couple of gaskets needed replacing and my left fork was bent. And that was a good condition 250 with only 35000km genuine on it!

The bike went from dangerous to safe because I was willing to fork out decent money to a decent mechanic to check it right over and do everything. This sort of inspection for a 250 is a must!

and servicing!

Top advice deadmeat.