Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New to Riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by LordRaaaaaawAlot, May 6, 2013.

1. Hi guys and girls i'm new to riding just brought my first bike but i have a few questions.
    1) i live in SA and i'm not sure the price on the ride safe course dose anyone know?

2) i have alot of family worried about me riding thinking ill be the stupid riders who ride in shirt shorts and thong, any tips on reassuring them ill be fine? i just spent 2500 on full riding gear

2. #2 NSSherlock, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013

Put your gear on and wear it around them. Tell them you are trying to break it in since you'll be wearing it all the time.

For 1)
    Rider Safe motorcycle training courses
    Level one, basic
    Level two, advanced
    Rider Safe learner's permit (only issued for 24 months)
    from: http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport, travel and motoring/Transport fees/Motoring fees/Driver's licence and permit fees

Also check out http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Motorcycling to get started.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Hi mate and welcome to the world of riding!!!

Ridersafe course is around $350 ish plus a fee at the rego place to get your L's.

Details on the course can be found in this thread, https://netrider.net.au/threads/ridersafe-s-a-course.138952/

I did the basic 6 months ago and advanced 2 weekends so both are fresh in my mind if you have any questions.

You can't really, except with time. My mum was freaking too and insisted I message he whenever I left to make sure I got home safely. She is getting better.

What might help is assuring them that riding a bike for 9 months out of 12 it gets bloody cold, you need gloves and a jacket and full length pants if you plan on going over 60km/h. Also telling them you definitely don't want to end up on the asphalt, or worse.

Good luck mate and ride safe and within your capabilities, and have fun enjoying the freedom :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thanks guys for that its really helpfull :)
    i have a all weather jacket gloves boots pants and helmat. so i might just "brake them in"
    thank you both :)
  5. Hey mate,

Can i just say - your friends and family are worried for you because to be honest, riding a motorbike is a dangerous activity. I'm not trying to discourage you at all - I love riding, but the thrill of it is the unknown and the rush of living life on the edge.

Convincing your family that riding isn't dangerous is one thing but thinking yourself that it isn't is an entirely different thing.

Anyway - practically, the most you can do is get the proper gear, show them you are mature in the risks you are taking and show them or explain to them you understand the risks and that it means something to you.

But to be honest - It's hard to change people's perceptions of motorcycling and i profess i'd be worried to death if my loved ones were on a motorcycle. I still refuse to pillion my girlfriend. I'll take my own life into my own hands but not somebody elses and that's the reality of it. You will never be able to bridge that gap if they don't see the risk/reward equation in life like you might and it's just a natural part of someone else caring for you more than you care for yourself.
  6. Forget all the ATGATTers,better plan is dont crash.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. You just have to let them convince themselves over time but it doesn't help when they see idiots making us all look bad. You ride for yourself, not others and while it shows they care all you can do is be sensible and try not to contribute to the risks that are out there.... and enjoy.