Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New to Riding and Netrider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by JEN81, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Hey guys

Well you all know how it goes. My name is Jen and I'm from Newcastle. Just got my L's the other day and purchased my first bike a Kawasaki Vulcan S.

Starting off learning to ride in Industrial Estates before I even attempt to ride in traffic. Yep I know sounds lame lol. But I want to be sure I sort of know what I'm doing before tackling the rest of the world.

So in the mean time I'm annoying some mates to take me out and show me the ropes.

Well look forward to speaking and eventually possibly meeting up and making new friends.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It isn't lame, it's sensible.

Welcome, btw.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks Greydog
  4. I recently just got my learners as well and did the same thing as you I also up at very early mornings Sat & Sun mornings practicing around the streets when there was little traffic, I didnt think it was lame the way I saw it I was a risk to myself and to others if I was riding on the road in traffic just not worth the risk start your riding experience off on a positive and enjoyable note.

If I wasn't a member of these forums id imagine I still be struggling learning to ride and probably not enjoying it but the guys here on the forum have been fantastic for helping me and offering advice as it goes to show a month and half later I am now confident and really enjoying riding the bike :)
  5. Welcome aboard. Nothing at all wrong with starting off in your comfort zone - I did most of my early riding late at night, partly because that's when I had time but mostly because there's not a lot of traffic to deal with.
  6. Welcome, the Putty rd awaits you.

It's only sensible to ride in a quiet area until you can repeatedly and safely stop/start/turn.

With enough practice, it will come quicker than you probably think, and then there is a whole lot of good riding to be had.
  7. welcome aboard :] I did the industrial estates to when I first started then slowly added more to and from and after awhile the estate wasn't needed.:]

Take your time and enjoy
  8. Welcome to NR...
  9. Welcome,

Don't forget to write up your first adventure out of the quiet streets. They're usually a good read and if you have a search around almost all new riders have that scary but exciting venture out of their comfort zone on the bike.

10. Welcome to NR Jen!
  11. Welcome and enjoy the wonderful world of biking!
  12. Hi and welcome JEN81JEN81. When you start riding, you feel you can only concentrate on an area the size of a $10 note. The area of concentration expands as the control of the bike becomes more natural. Keep riding!! :)
  13. Thanks so much for the welcome. I now feel more at ease knowing a few others have done the same.
  14. Welcome JEN81........

One piece of advice I took on board when just starting out (been riding now for 6 weeks so no expert) was to ride as often as you can. A lot of it is about confidence and the more consecutive rides you put together the better off you'll be. Riding in traffic is very intimidating at first, but its surprising how fast you get used to it.

Cool bike too by the way. I saw the Vulcan S in a shop the other day and I thought it looked the shiz....
  15. Hey Jen,

Welcome to NR. Hope you enjoy the Vulcan.

I also hope the shop sets up the controls and seat for you during pre-delivery. Don't ride it if it doesn't fit you like it should. Kawasaki has made a big noise about the adjustability being a big asset of this model.

I've spent the last 12 months learning and 10,000 km later, I now find myself in that risky 'confident enough to overestimate my skill set' phase.

My bike reminded me of that today, with a neat little' mini-tank slapper' moment at 100km/h. Somehow, I was lucky enough to keep it shiny side up but bent a fork in the process. I'm grateful for this important lesson, which I won't forget in a hurry.

Moral: You never stop learning. Ride safe, Jen.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Another one from Newy. Not gonna be any cars left on the road here at this rate :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Welcome to a life some can only dream of. Enjoy every day and experience
  18. Im trying to recruit other friends now to get their licenses too and bikes. We will start taking over Newcastle lol
    • Like Like x 2