Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New to Netrider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by markko174, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Hi everyone!

For many years I was a car guy and still drive a Golf GTi which has been a great little car especially in the city.
    But something was missing so I decided to learn to ride a bike at the ripe old middle age of 40!

At first I wasn't too sure what to start on and ended up learning on a TGB X-Motion 300cc scooter which was a great place to start, and you can fit a case of beer under the seat so it had loads of storage! I had lesson on a little 150cc motorbike whilst learning but couldn't find one I was comfortable on.

I live on the northern beaches so training roads were McCarrs Creek Road and through the national park and the odd trip across the bridge to eastern suburbs or Marrickville.

Not long after I was no longer on my P's I bought a 2014 Triumph Bonneville which I have had for over a year now. Am looking forward to doing a few more rides in regional areas and next ride when I find the time will be Galston Gorge to Wisemans Ferry and then follow the river to the central coast.

The feeling of freedom on a motorcycle is exhilarating, it never fails to put a smile on my face!

So question to you all, I have not yet ridden a sports bike, some riders I have spoken to say they are not so comfortable. Any suggestions on what sort of sports bike I should have a go at riding?

• Like Like x 1
  2. welcome aboard :)
    best bet is to test ride as many as you can
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Welcome markko174markko174
    Every bike is different. All you can really do is visit a few stores and see what feels comfortable to you, and then maybe take some test rides. Your physical shape / size makes a huge difference too.
    Have a look at Motorcycle Ergonomics to get some idea of what might fit you as a starting point.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. As above...

Welcome to NR
  5. Welcome to the forum.
  6. Welcome markko174markko174 -- great choice of bike. Seeing as you have a Bonneville the only sports bike you're actually permitted to ride is the Triumph 675(R) But don't worry, there's far worse. ;)

On a more serious note, its reasonable to single out the more track-orientated sport bikes as the ones most likely to eject your vertebral discs onto the road. These are machines like the R6, 675R, S1000RR, ZX-10R and so on. They have a more aggressive position which usually puts some stress on your back and neck as well as weight on your wrists if you don't hold yourself off the bars. Many of these bikes have less demanding relatives, like the Ninja 1000 or a similar naked bike like a Z1000, Street/Speed Triple and so on.

Absolutely go sit on a few, see what takes your fancy, test ride them, then buy a 675R. ;)
  7. Welcome mate :cool:
  8. Or go for gold and buy an MV.
  9. Another product placement royalties check has been mailed to you - keep up the good work!;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. I need it.....the 6000km service due soon......
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1