Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New to it all

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by ThommoFC, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Hey All,

Finally getting around to getting my licence in two weeks, looking forward to it massively.

Great forum, been lurking on it for about a month now. Feel like I've read most of it!

Got the old problem of being 6'5" and 105kgs, then finding a LAMs bike to suit.

Been researching for bikes and now leaning toward the gs500, like the cruisers but the 250s seem a bit small.

Any suggestions would be great

Cheers

Tom

2. Hi Thommo, welcome to NR.

There are a lot of threads on here, talking about what bike to get, what people got. Pretty much most people will recommend what they found works for them; you really just need to go sit on some bikes and do your own research and make up your own mind.

For me, I'm 6'2" and 120kg (too much good food), and I found the Suzuki GSX650FU to be a great beginners bike. Good enough for my long legs and plenty of power to get me around day to day without any issues whatsoever, and really really fun to take out on the weekend to blow off some steam.

If you're looking at a new bike, you can't go far wrong with one of those, especially for the price. There are also loads of FU's coming onto the market right now that can be had for 7-8k that will probably still have a years worth of warranty (like mine). Kawasaki make a LAMS version of the 650 Ninja which might also suit, and there is the Yamaha FZ6R - I didn't consider those as they were not available when I was starting out last year.

3.  Top
  4. The GS500 would suit you perfectly :D

If you're into cruisers, there are ones that are bigger than 250...

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/lams_list_100827.pdf

Give um, Suzuki dealerships a call etc, and see what they recommend. Otherwise, I'm sure there will be someone on here who knows more about cruisers than I (which isn't hard... I know jack shit about cruisers :D )

Welcome to NR!!!!

As you well know, the knowledge and people here are great. Have fun :)

5. Hey there Thommo...nice to meet you.

Looking forward to hearing all about yr new bike when you get it!

6. Hi Tom, good luck with getting your license.
    I probaly recommend getting your license first and then taking soem bikes for a fang and seeing which one suits your riding style and needs.

Let the fun begin...............

7. Welcome Im sure you will enjoy which ever bike you go with

8. Welcome mate, good luck with getting your L's ,
    and hope you enjoy the experience of riding as much as we all do =p ,

9. G'day mate and welcome to Netrider.
    All the best with your upcoming licence & your ensuing bike hunt (y)

10. Cheers all, went to a whole lot of stores today, loved it

11. Good luck and welcome Tom

12. Hi Thommo
    Welcome to the forum. How's your bike selection going? Anything you're liking the look of so far?

13. Hi Brmmm,

Had my eye on a black naked 2009 GS500, but the one I was look at got sold over the weekend,

So now to find another!

Finished the Ls course yesterday, whole lotta fun

Cheers

14. Well done on your L's mate ! Now the REAL fun begins ---> BIKE HUNTING !
    Good luck (y)

15. Welcome..and be careful..bikes are addictive.

16. deposit down on a GS500, can't wait to get it

17. Good to hear mate so we will be seeing you this weekend at homebush?
    When do you pick her up

18. just picked it up and been for a ride round the streets, awesome stuff,

Working all this weekend but will try a make one soon after