Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New to Australian Roads & Laws

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by blueteq, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Hi

I am learning how hard it is to get a motorcycle license in VIC! I am over 6 feet tall and it would be so uncomfortable riding a 250.

What will be a good recommendation to get until LAMS come into effect?

I did some searches on the forum but could not find more info on LAMS? Can anyone send me some links to other threads discussing this issue.

Thanks

geo

2. I'm 6'4 with a 34.5" inseam, 83kg;

The Honda Hornet 250 (imported) and Hyosung GT250/GT250R had the most legroom for me. The Honda VTR250 is what I went with in the end.

Kawasaki GPX250 and ZZR250 were acceptable too.

VTR250 was a fanastic bike. Very agile, fun to ride in the city, kept up with much much bigger bikes in the twisties.

My recommendation though is to go to bike shops and sit on a few different bikes; see what fits!

3. Suzuki GSF250V - about as big as a 250 gets (since it uses the frame of the 400cc version).
    If you like fairings go for a Suzuki Across.

4. CBR125R, i reckon.

5. bandit 250, hornet 250, across would be good options. Im around 6" and 83kg and have no worries at all on my bandit, my brother is 6"5' and close enough to 130kg and he manages on an across too.

6. Really they only look too small, once your on them they and actually moving along they are ok, its just the comfort level that changes

GPX and ZZR are prob the most comfortable folowed by the suzuki across all the gray imports like cbr's and zxr's are put pressure on wrists and shoulders.

im 6'3 and my GPX is comfy enough to ride for hours, and its good on fuel too.

7. Hyosung GT250 (comet?). Uses the same size chassis as the 650 [edit: not exactly the same chassis but similar overall height, same seat height, similar wheelbase etc according to the Hyo website]. It's freakin huge.
    I hear that due to weight it's also faster than the LAMS version of the 650.

Or you could wait until June when LAMS is supposed to start, that's if
    you believe the politicians and bureaucrats will get it done on time.

8. No, it doesn't.
    Is still a big 250 though, but definitely search for Hyosung and reliability on here before committing to buying one.

9. LOL that's mean, joel! :LOL:

10. I am thinking of just waiting for LAMS, and then get the BMW 650CS. Hopefully it will just be two to three months! In the meantime I will go for my L's on a supplied bike.

Cheers

11. Be Careful getting your license before LAMS if you wish to ride a LAMS bike. The changes may only be applicable to people getting their license after the intro of the scheme. No-one really knows yet though.

12. That is a good point, why is it so hard!!

13. because riding seems to stimulate you?

14. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, I'm 6ft and the Hyosung GT250 is a perfect size: make sure you get the newer models though: some folk have had a lot of trouble with older versions.

15. I am 6' 3" and 90kg. I have a Hyosung GV250 cruiser and I find it fine to ride now that I removed the rear seat. With the seat on it dug into my back and caused pain.

16. LAMS restrictions

I have recently spoke to VicRoads, they confirmed that those who obtained their learner permit/restricted license prior to LAMS introduction will not be able to ride LAMS approved bikes, and will remain on the current system.