Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC NEW TAC funded Blitz

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Jem, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Just saw this in todays Waverly Leader -

HIGHWAY patrols will target Monash roads for an extra 5000 hours over the next nine months in a blitz paid for by the Transport Accident Commission.

Police will patrol Oakleigh hoon hotspot Princes Highway, Springvale Rd and the Monash Freeway from October in an aim to slash the rising number of TAC accident claims.

Nunawading highway patrol Sgt Paul Egan said officers would be encouraged to work on their days off and take on overtime.

"It's not to detract from the service we already provide, it's to provide a service that is above and beyond what we're normally able to," Sgt Egan said.

Last year 403 claims were made to the TAC following injury crashes in Monash, while 67 were filed for hospital stays.

Sgt Egan said the extra enforcement, which equates to about 18 extra hours of road policing per day, would see officers on main roads "outside hours drivers would expect".

TAC road safety manager Samantha Cockfield said the locations, which this year include Casey and Dandenong, were chosen following applications from police.

"It's a value-adding program through which the TAC supports police to meet road safety objectives, over and above their standard work," Ms Cockfield said.

Ms Cockfield did not answer questions about the cost of the program.

Between April 2011 and March 2012, 551 road injuries were recorded in Monash, up 13 per cent from the previous 12 months.
  2. Funny how not answering is even an option for a public servant. Goes to show the nature of the power relationship there.
  3. No mention of it on the TAC site .......
  4. VicPol are mercenaries?
  5. Umm, I might be missing something here but isn't what he's talking simply the job they get paid to do anyway.
  6. paid for by the government through our taxes and rates. NOT by an insurance company to reduce their payouts
  7. Have been for a long time
  8. Interested in hiring them for an event?

Police Regulation (Fees & Charges) updated 2008 here or here

Last I saw (about 4 yrs ago, prob. gone up since then) cost:

Policing hourly rates (incl GST):

- Officer $132.70
    - Sub officer $96.50
    - other ranks $77.90
    - car $24.20
    - motorcycle $32.80
    - horse $49.70
  9. Nothing a bit of driver training wouldn't fix..

Oops, my bad, said the dreaded T word again....

As you were.........
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Good to see a focus on saving money and not live's
  11. look at the bright side.
    they have NFI where the hot spots are
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Every tax payer should be up in arms...............I for one wouldnt want a stressed out, tired officer working on a potentially high pressure situation that could have someones lives hanging on the balance.

If the powers that be think that working overtime isnt going to be an issue....then as a taxpayer I would want to know why those hours isnt regarded as normal working hours and why there is a shortage of cops.....if the existing ones are obviously not busy enough (and can do extra jobs on the side).
  13. sweet.....
    lets all chip in and get a police bike down at a satdy learners session for "protection"
    ... and if he happens to give pointers... then so be it.. cheaper then an instructor.... (not that doug or grey arent bad, but these guys get serious training)...

maybe add an entry fee for a ride so we can get two as corner markers....
  14. ^ not such a silly idea, I"m in

Cheers Jeremy
  15. that really is a very good idea.
    i'm not sure who you'd contact to have one or two of them attend.
    but someone here will know.

i think the cops would love to do this too.
  16. Well, it's the right thing to do, but it shouldn't be paid for by the TAC...
  17. Don't count on it.

Vicpol recently created a road intelligence unit whose sole purpose is to scrutinise data, workout how best to marshall its resources and to design better more effective road blitzes and campaigns.

The recent BIA operation is an example of its output which targetted the suburbs with the highest recedivist rates and has put the top 500 worst drivers on TMU's target list.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Wait till the full time strategic planning traffic enforcement minds with an enforcement cures all philosophy, starts dreaming up wish list legislation.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. no, they wouldn't. We've had a few police attending from time to time. Most of them end up not coming any more. My understanding is that they are "asked" not to. It's a shame really.
  19. Do you people really want a cop who is potentially just going to preach the gospel according to the TAC/Vic Roads to you at your training sessions.

Really, this is what you want?
  20. Dumbest. Idea. Ever.