Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New suzuki lams

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Cherry, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Hi, I'm looking to buy my first bike in Victoria and as I'm not restricted to a 250 I've been looking at the new suzuki lams bikes (SV650S and GSX 650F)......I haven't riden either but wanted to get your thoughts as they are relatively new to the market. My other idea is to get a vtr 250 as these seem to be very well regarded but the thought of having to upgrade after a few months isn't appealing - I've also riden these on my learners and they seem a little on the small/light side - I'm 5'9", 75kgs and female :)

2. They are both horrible bikes, you're an idiot if you get one.

I'd strongly recommend a hyosung.

3. Then immediately trade it in on something else :wink:

4. I'm not about to buy a hyosung.....

5. The sarcasm is strong in this one.

Most people here will probably say get a good VTR250. Personally I probably would too. Get a SH one that it doesn't matter too much if you drop it then you'll lose negligible $$$ on depreciation and be able to upgrade to whatever you want later on, as opposed to being stuck with probably (I don't really know) an underperforming LAMs bigger bike.

6. Oh so you can use the search function? :grin:

There are several reviews and commentaries on both bikes, many from myself as I owned one. So I'd suggest you have a good look as theres far more info there then you'll get from one single thread. Then if you have specific questions after putting some effort in, we can help out :)

7. they were both reviewed in the april two wheels (article on lams bikes). might be worth a read. apparently the restrictions take the power off the top so there is still plenty of grunt.

there's also a gladius in a lams version. :shock:

8. yes the Hyosung comment was a joke '' ( it made me smile )

it also depends how much you want to spend. the VTRs are good and as said before take a look at the reviews .

take a look at a Suzuki GS500f good bike for around 7k new

keep searching good luck

Adrian

9. What's wrong with this picture?

Cherry

I'm 5'9", 75kgs

Suzuki GSX650F

Dry weight 241kgs

(My 600cc Hornet has a dry weight of 176 kgs)

10. Some fool put text in bold! amiright? :LOL:

11. huh? :-k

12. GSX650F is 216 dry, 241 is its full curb weight.

But yes, it'd be fairly heavy at low speeds.

13. I see nothing terribly wrong with this picture. Yes, 241 is fairly heavy but as already pointed out that is the actual kerb weight rather than the fairly meaningless dry weight figure manufacturers used to quote - and I thoroughly applaud them for moving away from that stupid and misleading practice.

But the seat on this bike is reasonably low and 5'9" is respectable enough.
    Have a good try for yourself - you might find you can manage just fine.
    What I would be concerned about is that these LAMS Suzukis apparently cannot be easily de-restricted once you're off your P's - which in my opinion kind of negates their whole reason for existing.

14. I'm about that height and weight, the CBR is only about 20kg shy of that wet weight. As long as you use good technique then the GSX should be fine. However a lighter, smaller bike will be easier to learn slow speed techniques on. It's all about compromise.

15. My comment was not intended to prejudice consideration of the bike, but we DID have someone on here a month or so ago who said that he had bought a 650F, brand new, but was selling it because it was so heavy......

16. For sure Paul, compare the 241kgs to about 170kgs for a VTR 250 and there's a huge difference. That difference will most likely have an effect on low speed confidence. Personally I'd suggest a lighter bike for learning technique rather than a more stable one. With pretty much every bike choice there will need to be a compromise somewhere.

17. I am actually really sensitive to the issue of weight and being able to balance and support your bike. I get very annoyed by statements like "weight/height don't matter once you're riding' - I reply that this would be just fine if you never needed to stop, but the reality of riding for myself and most other city riders is that stopping, inching forward slowly or parking our bikes is something we do a lot...

Which brings me to my first point - it really depends on how you're going to use your bike and where you live. For a city commuter VTR or any other light, flickable bike make more sense than GSX650F but if you live in a country or are going to use your bike only for longer open road runs, that extra weight is actually an asset as it contributes to nice planted feeling and stability at cruising speeds.

My second point is that I recently had a nice ride on a CBF1000 (very possibly my next bike!) which is supposed to have a curb weight of some 250 kilos, yet despite some initial misgivings I didn't feel especially overwhelmed by its mass. Good ergos and solid reach to the ground are more important than weight in many ways, which is why I encourage you to have a go and see for yourself. You don't even need a test ride for this - just sit on the bike and paddle it around the shop floor with your feet. This will give you a good indication of whether you can manage the bike when coming to the stop or moving it around when parking.

• Like Like x 1
  18. good call; the CBF-1000 actually has a lower seat height than the new model Hornet at 400ccs less.....

and weight depends on where it is concentrated; if it's up high then you'll always have that nervous feeling in low-speed manoeuvering..

19. Cherry,

I had a look at the GSX650F specifically late last year. The problem I had was that they cannot be legally modified to a full powered bike after you are on an unrestricted licence.

As a result you will probably still want to upgrade later. I decided on a GS500 because it was 3K less and much lighter.

Don't get me wrong, for the additional 3K you get much better brakes, suspension inline 4 EFI (GSX650F) and hydraulic clutch. It definitely is a much nicer ride with more torque.

My plan was to save the 3K up front and put it towards the upgrade bike. You will save even more if you are patient and find a good second hand GS500 or VTR.

Rob

20. I'd go along with 'Slick' on that............I was impressed with the fact that Suzuki had developed the lams 650 until I research it and found out that, in effect, there is no way you can legally de-restrict the bike :?

Buying one means you will always have a biggish, heavy, underpowered machine that wont take you long before you are unhappy with.........a better option is now the GS500