Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Street Triple - ticking noise

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by raging, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Howdy folks,

The street triple has done about 4,000 km's now (so still will within warranty). After the bike has warmed up, it has a ticking noise. I mentioned this to the dealer and the reply was "some do it, some dont, not an issue".

I'm just wondering if anyone think this is an issue (maybe cam chain tensioner ?) or it's normal and nothing to worry about. Here is a recording done with an iPhone after the commute home.

2. Sounds similar to the noise my not-really-a-ninja makes
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Perfectly normal. Mine sounds like that and has from new. Now nearly 50,000km down, still runs sweet and never misses a beat.

Don't worry about it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cool thanks.

Sounds eeek though. Might have to take the baffles out of the arrow slip-ons to mask the ticking sound out.
  5. I'm not very familiar with these motors but it doesn't really sound like cam chain to me. More like valve train. Haven't heard it on the few 675 motors I've heard running.

Dunno about you, but I wouldn't be buying a bike that sounds like that. I'd be telling them if they don't ALL do it when new, I want it fixed, no ifs or buts.
  6. I quite like the 'mechanical rattle', along with the whistle/whine. :)

You have after market exhausts which will prob amplify the sound (I have Leo Vince) - with the stock exhausts on I bet it would be nearly unnoticeable, hence the 'some do it, some don't' statements from those you have spoken to.
  7. Cam chain tensioner, sometimes they don't self tension properly and need a push.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Just got off the phone to Triumph Australia (big kudos to them for replying/contacting me so quickly).

To them (this is not word for word), it sounds like the cam chain tensioner is almost about to jump to the next notch. Once it does the noise will go away. If it doesn't jump to the next notch, take it to my local dealer which they'll manually put it up a notch. Pretty much what stu_h said.

I'll keep you posted.

9. Takes a licking but keeps on ticking.
  10. Can swap you my hornet for triple, that'll resolve your problem lol :)
  11. Kick it up a notch. BAM!!!
  12. my daytona is the same same response from ps
  13. Starting to sound like a common fault.
  14. yeah but it comes and goes as the tension gets taken up more of an anoyance than a problem
  15. how often is the cycle ?
    I have no idea how many notches there are on the tensioner and how many km's between them.
  16. depends on how hard you ride it every couple of thou for about 500k
  17. Only if his problem was too much style and power lol
  18. touche' lol
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mine sounds the same as well...
  20. It's not a fault...when the cam chain is loose the tensioner tightens it, it's just not loose enough to jump to the next step of adjustment