Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New sprocket set on RVF 400

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by c0rrupt, Jul 22, 2009.

1. So... I've bought some new vortex sprokets for the bike as I just think it could do with some shorter gearing and needs a bit more low end grunt. The bike is great once you get into 6-7k rpm range but low down its just not really there, and it would be nice to get the front end up a bit!

I'll let you all know how it is once its done - i've gone -1 on front and +2 on the back.

I was wondering how i would ment the speedo to reflect the changes as i've heard that it will register 10/15 % more than what i'm actually doing, I'd assume that this could also put some false klm's on the tacho? I've seen speedohealer but thats for those new fandangled 'lectronic speedos!

would love to hear if anyone else has done this etc and your thoughts in general.

2. c'mon... no one has any advice/info on this?...
  3. Not familiar with the bike, is the speedo driven off the front wheel or gearbox?

If it's front wheel it will be correct irrespective of your gearing, if it's gearbox, it will be out, but as to whether it is higher or lower & how much, do a search for a gearing calc, there's a couple linked on here.
  4. Good question... y'know i'm not sure.

I'll look into that. Thanks.
  5. You're welcome. :grin:

Have fun.