Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New speed camera locations for QLD. Arrive mid 2010

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by KaptainM, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Sorry if old news or has been posted before.

There will be 7 new speed camera locations being tested in the south-east corner over the coming weeks and if
    successful will be operational by mid 2010 and then will be rolled out through the rest of the state. These will

Cnr Waterworks Road and Jubilee Terrace, Ashgrove
    Cnr Beaudesert Road and Compton Road, Calamvale

Pacific Motorway, Loganholme
    Gateway Arterial Road, Nudgee
    Clem7 Tunnel, Woolloongabba to Bowen Hills

ONE MOBILE SPEED CAMERA - used at varying locations

Bruce Highway, Caloundra Road to Wild Horse Mountain, Beerburrum

A point-to-point (or average) speed camera system uses a number of cameras over a length of road to measure a
    vehicle's average speed. The system uses the time it takes for a vehicle to travel between the two points to
    calculate the average speed of the vehicle: Speed = Distance/Time.

Point-to-point speed camera systems use a number of cameras mounted at staged intervals along a particular

Point-to-point camera systems, like fixed speed cameras, are monitoring traffic 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    However, unlike current fixed speed cameras, point-to-point systems are not activated when a vehicle violates
    the speed limit at a given point in time measured by a speed detection device. Rather, point-to-point camera
    systems apply a mathematical calculation based on the time it takes for a vehicle to travel from one camera to
    the next and the distance between the cameras.

The first length of road the system will cover is approximately 13km.
    Please exercise some common sense when driving particularly through these locations and avoid any
    infringements. The new locations will be digital processors so if an infringement is detected the images are
    uploaded instantly to the infringements processing centre and you receive notification with 2-3 days.
    Currently with the wet-film system these can take up to 4 weeks.
  2. Where is the one at Loganholme out of interest? And is it out-bound heading toward the Gold Coast or in-bound heading toward Brisbane?
  3. These sites have gone live 2 days ago. Today in the paper i read that the loganholme camera has nabbed over 1000 people. Cash cow??

Next best was nudgee, with 26 detections.
  4. The Loganholme one is a bit sneaky. The cameras are mounted up on the back side of the bridge so you can't actually see them.
  5. They are north bound heading into Brisbane, just after the river bridge. As mentioned they are on the back of an over pass so you can't see them, sneaky pricks.

It blows my mind that there are now 5 fixed speed camera's between Yatala and Caloundra and they always have mobile ones setup on the bruce as well it's getting out of control and is overkill.. all these camera's aren't saving any lives.
  6. I like the one at nudgee, aparently an accident hot spot. Bullshit, the accident hotspot is on the otherside of the road. I live nearby, and I cant recall a single fatality. Infact, the only accident I have seen there is a taxi who drove off the road. Plenty of prangs in the northbound lanes though..
  7. I actually like the point to point cameras much more than the traditional cameras, for the reason that they'll only catch true speeders & not those who've made the mistake to glance at the road for a moment.
  8. i love the signs
    "speed camera ahead for road safety"

do they really think we believe that crap??
  9. all the places they have put a camera recently due to being black spots I can't recall any fatalities in the last 6 or so years, and some like the one on the corner of compton road I can't even recall any type of accident.

North onbound on the M3 on that logan stretch i think I can remember 1 or 2 accidents in the last 5 years... don't really think a camera is warranted on that basis, I would like to find the stats about these so called hot spots.

I think it's more that a camera can nab 1000 motorists a day that makes them a revenue hot spot... surely if every k over is a killer 100's if not 1000's of people would be dead every day.
  10. *Bump* As of 21 December 2011, the Beerburrum–Landsborough cameras on the Bruce Highway are fully operational. Unlike other point-to-point cameras, these target all vehicles, not just heavy vehicles.

References: ABC, NQ Herald, Gympie Times.

From the NQ Herald: