Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New SA rider ... well soon to be :)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by kaybee, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Hi! I'm going for my L's in February (long wait for weekends) ... bit nervous. Can anyone shed some light on what to expect? :)

2. so....are you hot?
  3. 2 minutes that took - looks like Crisis is back on form.

Welcome kaybee. can't offer much info on what to expect from a test in SA. If the VIC test was anything to go by then as long as you have at least a grand total of 3 hours riding experience under your belt then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, but i'll leave it to someone who's actually been through the SA test to confirm.

I remember thinking after the test 'My God, people are legally alowed to ride solo on the road after THAT?'

good luck - and chances are that the biggest barrier to overcome will be your own uncertainty. everything else will just fall into place

4. She's South Aussie bro of course she's hot!

What part SA you from?
  5. Its a big initial learning curve but they should take you through it one step at a time. Most important is to try to relax. ( I learnt in Queensland which probably has different training methods).
  6. #6 phil01, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    hey welcome
    sure i posted in detail the ridersafe tests
    have a look for it ) and ask any questions ya
    i did both courses may and june[DOUBLEPOST=1356732312][/DOUBLEPOST]https://netrider.net.au/threads/ridersafe-s-a-course.138952/

maybe a mod can fix up my typing and sticky ?
    actually a full on editor )
  7. Welcome, the test is low speed manouverability as any real on street riding at speed is clearly not practical.
    Oaklands park is still accessible if you are sneaky so go and have some practice and see what you think.
  8. Thanks for the tips ... the last riding I did was as a kid on dirt bikes :)[DOUBLEPOST=1356779472][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I live out in Pooraka - what a horrible name for a suburb! :)
  9. Up near Nawson Lakes :) cool.

I'm SA originally, rural tho not Adelaide! It's not so bad, over here we have Ngunnawal and Crace and some other doozies! Lol
  10. so if you've done dirt bikes for even the smallest amount of time then even if it was a long time ago basic control, gear shifting and keeping the bike upright should take at max about 30 minutes to re-master to a basic degree. then all you have to worry about is the legalities like indicating (and turning the bloody things off again).
  11. Hi another south aussie here. We are lucky to get some good roads to play. Dont even remember by basic course. Was at oaklands but it was 14 years ago. A tip would be that the clutch is most important control you have you can do heaps with it. Once you are comfortable with friction points play with the slip see what you can do with it.
  12. Pretty easy they go through everything with you just remember your head checks that is one thing that is crucial.

Yay another South Australian :)
  13. Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

It's standard procedure for all new female members to post pics of themselves for...registration
    • Like Like x 1
  14. we're bringin' it back man....bringin' it back....YA FECKIN PORCH MONKEYS
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Hahahaha - I'm not that naive :p
  16. Shit, we've got a live one! Well at least tell us your age? Was it the dirt bikes that made you want to get a road bike?
  17. I'll be 33 in a few weeks.

I've wanted my licence since a friend took me riding a couple of years ago. Another friend was keen to get theirs so we both booked in - more fun with someone else. I'm counting down the days!! :)
  18. 'ello!

few lurkers around. In SA you don't "need" to have riding experience for the first part of RiderSafe as they'll teach you everything you need to know on the day.

you will (or should!) get a choice of bike - little yammy scorpio, a dirt bike or a scooter. the test is run over two days and has a mix of classroom stuff and practical.

they will teach you everything you need to know. You start off with pushing the bike around, then progress to starting it up, how to find first, biting point on the clutch, then gradually move up to first gear riding, then second.

the test is at the end of the second day and involves doing the following:

set of from a stand-still and you basically do two loops (my test the loops were to the left) and you demonstrate moving up to third gear and looking through the corners, and you then bring the bike to a stop next to the instructor. if you've done any riding at all and are fairly ok on a pushbike you'll find it fairly easy.

when I did mine back in feb 2010 I'd never ever ridden a bike ever. biggest tip is to just relax and remember that the instructors are there to teach you the very basics and give you the info to teach yourself to ride.
  19. Welcome to the forum. Don't be bothered by some of the guys they are big doggys with big teeth but they will lick you to death rather than bite you, they are lots of fun too, no dull moment here.

Rather late than never I say.