Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC New rules allow speed cameras to be concealed

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by gunissan, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Bah, the doublespeak and BS within this makes me want to barf.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

POLICE say they are happy for drivers to flash their lights to warn other motorists about speed cameras.

Traffic Superintendent Dean McWhirter today said he was happy for motorists to flash their lights to warn other motorists they were approaching a speed camera.

"If that occurs I am comfortable with that because it means actually people are getting the message," Supt McWhirter said today.

New speed camera rules explained

Supt McWhirter also defended rule changes, revealed in the Herald Sun today, which allow the hiding of speed cameras behind bushes and road signs.

"It was done to make sure that there was some protection in relation to the mobile speed camera operators," he said.

"To make sure the risk to them is mitigated.

"Unfortunately, what we know is that there have been a number of incidents where mobile speed camera vehicles have been swerved at.

"In the last 12 months there have been 247 incidents of threats in relation to mobile speed camera operators.

"And of those 247 incidents, 110 of those have been swerving at mobile speed cameras."

Supt McWhirter confirmed there would be occasions that operators would be concealed by bushes or signs to protect them.

"That's a commonsense approach," he said.

The force policy used to say that "under no circumstances" were cameras to be concealed by any covert means.

It also used to ban them on downhill stretches of road unless the site had a significant speed-related crash record.

The new rules - effective immediately - permit mobile speed cameras to be hidden behind trees, bushes, posts and road signs to lessen the risk of harm to camera operators from angry motorists.

They also allow them to be used at the bottom of hills and on slopes if the "road safety objective" can't be achieved at an alternative location.

"There is no restriction from a technical, legislative or enforcement perspective on a mobile road safety camera being operated on a slope, hill or gradient," the new rules say.

The force spent months creating its new policy after the Herald Sun revealed some cameras were being hidden despite the ban and also that fines had to be scrapped because a camera was wrongly set up on a steep hill.

Almost 510,000 motorists paid more than $103 million in mobile speed camera fines in the past year.

Victoria Police yesterday defended the changes to the mobile speed camera policy, saying they included recommendations made by speed camera commissioner Gordon Lewis.

"The amendments were made to specifically focus on the occupational health and safety of mobile speed camera operators, which is paramount in ensuring they can work in a safe environment," force spokesman Leonie Johnson said.

Police told Mr Lewis the use of concealed or partly hidden cameras was necessary to protect camera operators from injury.

Mr Lewis yesterday congratulated Victoria Police for clearly spelling out its mobile speed camera policy in a document that will be publicly available on the camerassavelives.vic.gov.au website.

"Transparency and clarity are fundamental to the motoring public's trust in the road safety camera system," he said

Police rewrote the rules after Mr Lewis asked Herald Sun readers in October last year to report any mobile speed cameras they believed were being used in breach of force guidelines.

He did so after the Herald Sun revealed speeding fines had to be scrapped because a mobile camera was wrongly set up over the brow of a hill to snap motorists going down a steep slope on Warrigal Rd, Surrey Hills.

Mr Lewis's plea to Herald Sun readers resulted in reports about 116 mobile camera sites they believed breached Victoria Police guidelines.

His nine-month probe found in each case the cameras had been set up fairly and according to the guidelines.

While he did identify three camera sites that were placed on unsuitable downhill stretches of road, he agreed with the decisions of regional police inspectors to override the rules and allow the use of cameras on those hills for safety reasons.

Mr Lewis said it was Herald Sun readers who discovered the controversial hidden camera tactic.

He asked Victoria Police for a ``please explain'' and was told the hidden cameras identified by the readers were put behind shrubs and road signs to protect the camera operators.

Mr Lewis was shown CCTV footage shot from inside a number of camera vehicles showing cars and trucks being driven at camera cars.

Police told him the drivers were ``deliberately intimidating'' the speed camera operators.

2. I think the danger due to hiding cameras and their operators in bushes from drop bears is more certain to be higher than swerving vehicles! I know my first instinct upon seeing a speed camera is to try and kill myself by trying to crash into it and the bushes they're / they're not hiding in.

Last year when visited the states, asked why there were no speed cameras - response was because people shot them out repeatedly - yah, second amendment.

Also, in the Netherlands they always fill them with expanding foam, etc... I think I heard it was legal for people to do this due to strange and wonderful quirk of dutch law (probably some antiquated idea of people being able to vote on changes to law that affect them rather than poltitwats unilaterally deciding what's best for the dumb masses) and the popo just had to watch them do it.

Australia is the most restrictively legislated country I have lived in and that includes many despotic and communist countries. Even the orderly Germans can still have fun on the road!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. What wankers
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SUMMARY: So.... we launched an internal enquiry where we found operators installing and using equipment in a manner which was unethical and against the law. So what did we do...??? We changed the law of course so it's now legal...

What a douche..

5. you have a "speed camera commissioner"???

do you have a domestic violence commissioner too?
  6. That's ole news. They've been doing it for a while now. Revenue must have dropped as we worked out what camera cars look like.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The bottom dwelling, scum sucking, oxygen thieving, low lifes in charge have sunk to a new all time low....this is nothing more than 'must protect the revenue stream at all costs'.....
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Yes, the HS stories are from 2013.
  9. If you can't share the road safely with other road users and abide by the rules you showed that you knew by passing your riders test, then don't blame the enforcement agency when you get caught. You only have yourself to blame.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. tumblr_inline_n8qadeIRxL1qfxhbt.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Srs Q, have there been fewer violent attacks on the people operating the cameras since the change? ( on a per camera basis, as number of them is probably higher by now)

Would people still stop and attack them if it were police manning the cameras?
  12. As far as I know, no camera operator in VIC was ever violently attacked, ever. Not before this money grabbing policy change, or since.
  13. Someone's been drinking the kool aid!:brb:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. #14 oldcorollas, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    A 2013 story alleged around 250 "road rage incidents" per year.. from swerving, things being thrown, to operators being "confronted"

Then again, that sounds like a normal day for a cyclist.. and as much as the rednecks of Aus would like it, we're not about to start hiding cyclists in bushes and behind signs :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Yeah I'm not seeing anything there that constitutes a violent attack on a person.
  16. No Cookies | Perth Now
    paint sprayed in face

Mobile speed camera operator assaulted
    punched in the head

No Cookies | The Advertiser
    bricks through windows at operators

No Cookies | Herald Sun

so it's an $8000 offence to attack a camera operator..
    you'd think that would be a bigger deterrent than a couple of hundred bucks as a deterrent for speeding... but no :D

interesting that the "protest" against your "right" to drive at whatever speed you want, results in the "right" to personal safety of someone else being infringed

devils advocate cap on... what should members of the public be allowed to do to speed camera operators? is throwing things ok? spitting? is it ok to damage their vehicles?
    and if so, shouldn't they be allowed to do the same to you? :D

and if we are allowed to drive with no road rules, and attack each other willy nilly... how does that make us any better than America? :D
    where do you draw the line? a line must always be drawn.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. If the police don't do their job and catch the bastard who smashes your bike or car, you would get up set. If they didn't do their job and lock up the vandals who trash your house , you would get upset. Don't expect them to not do their job when you are caught breaking the rules.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. #18 oldcorollas, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    maybe we could trial not having any police or enforcement at all for say, 3 months (long enough for everyone to get used to it), and see how that goes?
    I think it could be fun, and the cops sure need a rest from vilification by the public :D

I wouldn't mind a couple of free new bikes :p

then again, how about just a permanent trial of no SERCO... do they do any positive things in our community? :p Sectors - Serco Asia Pacific
  19. OldCorollas the thread is about Victoria (its in the title) and I said I wasn't aware of any violent attacks against speed camera operators IN VICTORIA. So you go off and dilligently dig up three stories about attacks against speed camera operators in Western Australia, New South Wales and South Australia.

One story from Victoria, wow someone threw a beer can at a car, did it even hit the car, no injury to anyone, blah blah blah... yawn
  20. no diligence applied whatsoever, and none will be :D
    no point when actual reports from Victoria would be dismissed with a yawn anyway ;) (plus the incidents are not individually publicised for obvious reasons...)

perhaps you Mexicans are getting what you deserve? :D heh heh

when road rules apply in Victoria 24/7, what is the argument for not wanting them enforced except in very specific circumstances? If no-one wants them enforced at all, why have those rules not been repealed? laziness? :D