Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC New roadworthy laws - OEM exhausts only?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Kha-Khees, Aug 29, 2011.

  1. Had the day off today, got bored so decided I'd head out to talk to a couple of mechanics about cost of a roadworthy/tyre for my new bike.

    I've been tipped off that all bikes will now need a stock exhaust for a RWC, as photos and (possibly) a video need to be submitted and filed. This sounds a bit extreme to me, and yet after a quick google and netrider search there doesn't seem to be much around about this.

    A couple of car related forums mention photos etc, but nothing bike specific so far.

    Can anyone clarify? Vicroads website is as useful as you would expect. Maybe some of the mechanics around here have a better idea of what's going on.

  2. What a crock!

    Any leads on where this is coming from would be appreciated.
  3. its a sound measurement. Keep it quiet and it will pass.
  4. I doubt if this is correct, what about the industry that relies on aftermarket.

    Until you see a source I wouldn't believe it.
  5. Sounds like a "Bloke at the pub" level of truth. That is to say utter rubbish.

    There's no way they can enforce that since many older bikes no longer have OEM pipes manufactured

    And a video would be useless since the volume the sound heard by someone playing it has no direct relation to how loud the bike was. it would instead relate to how loud your stereo was.
  6. Thanks for the title edit, I should've thought of that.

    I wouldn't say the source is dodgy, I'm a little apprehensive about posting it but this is from Kat at 60degrees, and as they aren't supplying the exhaust nor making any extra money from it I don't see any reason to lie about it.


    reading into it a little further, it seems this is a measure taken in order to distinguish who is lying in the event of a dispute between customer/workshop. It seems to only affect vehicle transactions rather than actually making everyone use an OEM exhaust, I didn't mean to make it sound like that.

    PPS: I'll fix this a bit by saying:
    In our quick chat about the RWC kat asked if the bike had a stock exhaust, I replied that it had a staintune, with the baffle readily available, she said that it still wouldn't pass as pictures are now required (she didn't mention video, i got that from the car forums). I said bugger, the previous owner decided to not even bring the bloody stock pipe home when he bought the bike brand new, so I'd just like to make sure before I lay out any cash for a second hand one.
  7. Kha-Khees,
    Came across this in my travels, don't know whether it applies to bikes, but am kind of thinking it might as I've noticed an increase (over/above what I'd usually expect) of late in RWC fees from last year to this.

    Attached Files:

  8. There's no requirement for a stock exhaust.
    There is a requirement for your bike to make less than a certain level of noise
    (Check exact rules for your state)
    If your bike with the staintune on comes in under the noise limit it's all good.
    Since it comes with a baffle, my guess is that it'd be fine with the baffle in, not so much with it out.

    But you'd have to have it tested to make sure.
  9. From VicRoads:

    Vehicles manufactured to comply with emission control
    ADRs must have all pipes, hoses, valves, sensors, fuel
    and air control devices and any other emission control
    equipment originally fitted by the vehicle manufacturer

    properly located and connected and not apparently
    damaged, deteriorated or altered in any way so as to
    appear ineffective.


    So does that means stock exausts?
  10. they tried this in NSW under epa regs a few years ago and it was defeated by the mra so the legislation was reversed
  11. I had to put my OEM back on for RWC. Swapped it straight back as soon as i got home though.
  12. I don't think so.
    I read that as: If your bike comes with a cat converter, then you must keep one on and no drilling it out.
    If it comes with an airbox snorkel, you need to keep that on too.
    But I'd be extremely surprised to find that was intended to force you to have OEM eqipment only.

    There are entire aftermarket industries supplying aftermarket radiator hoses etc and no reason to ban it.

    There are already laws restricting the noise your bike can make. There's no need to ban aftermarket systems.
  13. I work at a car dealership and the above is correct. I'm not sure on specifics because I don't work in the service department but I do believe we have to take photos of certain vehicles when issuing the RWC now.

    I'm not sure if it's for all cars, cars older then X amount of years and so on. I do know it's being introduced though. As for whether or not it applies to motorcycles as well I don't know. I would assume so though.

    VicRoads are cracking down on dealerships and licensed testers issuing RWC's to mates and people they know for vehicles that aren't actually road worthy - I'm sure a lot of us, or at the very least we know of someone, who has written up a dodgy certificate before. I don't believe the photos have to be sent to VicRoads with a copy of the RWC but they need to be kept on file where ever the vehicle had the RWC done in case of audit/review.

    When I had a motorcycle RWC done about 5 months ago they said they had to take the aftermarket pipe off the bike. They flat out refused to issue a RWC without the pipe coming off.

    VicRoads have had a few internal security issues as well I've heard. About 6 months ago (maybe a little longer) they started logging everything.. and I mean EVERYTHING! If we access a registration number of a vehicle, we now need to provide an explanation as to why. They are getting tough.
  14. Sounds as if this is enforcement by proxy. If an RWC tester can't be sure that your bike will pass an EPA sound test, then they aren't going to give it a certificate unless it has an OEM. Sound meter's are <$100 though...

    Bloody hell, the sound of a bike is one of it's methods of conspicuity... farquing Vic roads... ******
  15. mmm well, I could probably find someone to pass it with a baffle, but it seems to defeat the purpose of taking it somewhere trustworthy. I've already sourced a stock pipe anyway and for less than I had knocked off the bike's price for not having one...

    PS (again): Just got off the phone with the seller of this bike, his flatmate is apparently a registered vehicle inspector (or w/e they are) and also told him that it would be difficult to obtain a roadworthy with the staintune.

    It's still mostly hearsay I guess, but it does sound like regulations are getting tougher.
  16. There's a difference between owners modifying a bike for their own use (and taking responsibility for it), and RWC testers passing a bike for sale.

    My observations of a mate buying a NEW bike was that offically (on the invoice) he purchased a new bike in stock condition as ADRed, plus a non-road legal slip-on can, at a package price.
    The bike was Roadworthied in stock form and the fitting of the can officially never happened.

    I don't think the issue is EPA - it's ADR. Even if a bike might pass an EPA test, I can only guess that testers don't want to take the risk of passing a non-standard system in case it has ADR issues that they are not equipped to test for.

    Bottom line: if you buy an aftermarket exhaust, ALWAYS keep the stock item.
  17. This this this. I've got to get the stock can for my vtr before I can sell it now too, because the original was left/lost by some previous owner in the past. Annoying, since it was passed about 18 months ago with the megacycle + baffle just fine.
  18. My stock exhaust is long gone, my bike is on it's second (at least) aftermarket exhaust. You can't always have the stock exhaust, in my case my bike is 22 years old and if you drop it on the right hand side you won't be able to just buy a new one. Maybe the wreckers can help but it would be way easier to get an aftermarket exhaust.

    Can you get an insertable baffle made up?

    I've heard some exhaust shops can weld in a baffle or something so that you don't have to get a new system.

    Do you need to rejet the carbs with a different exhaust or is that only if you also do air intake mods?
  19. I think the carb issue doesn't apply so much to smaller capacity / less tuned engines, but I'm not so learned.

    I know that previously you could just stick the baffle in and away you go, but I think all the fuss is about the photos, and this could only affect newer bikes, that come with cat converters to meet emissions standards.

    We really need someone that knows to clear it up, otherwise I'll ask a few more questions when I get my RWC in a few days.
  20. It's not about exhaust pipes folks, it's about roadworthy vehicles.

    They don't require a photograph of your exhaust so there's your evidence.

    However, a roadworthy tester cannot blatantly pass an unroadworthy vehicle or they'll lose their license and livelihood. So don't expect them to.

    The initial test lasts for a period of seven days in which time you can make the vehicle compliant or it HAS to be retested. Which is a significant cost. The booklet of roadworthy forms has to be bought and paid for and each page has a corresponding number which has to be accounted for during an audit. So they don't hand roadworthies out like candy.

    The significant feature of the photographing process is the time stamp on the camera and the pictures. They must correspond with the roadworthy date, and also the file creation on the computer.

    This is to stop the vehicle being issued with the original roadworthy after the seven day period if the vehicle does NOT comply. This is to ensure a second roadworthy takes place.

    Hope that clears it up somewhat.

    Now here's something to consider while you're pondering....

    4 photos need to be taken and stored initally
    another 4 photos need to be taken and stored if the vehicle is presented again

    Multiply that by the size of photo files
    Multiply that by the number of vehicles a roadworthy tester will see in a year
    Multiply that by seven years.

    Store it once on the shop computer
    Store it again off site in case of failure

    How much storage is required?

    All to achieve what?
    Are Vicroads wankers?
    • Like Like x 1