Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rims?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by murchy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. had them on an old gsxr. biatch to keep clean. bike rims should be brake dust grey. It get engrained after a while and cleaning won't get it out.

Attached Files:

2. I dunno man, Whitie's is in pretty amazing condition. I might drop him a PM =]
  3. by the looks of the rest of the bike in that pic, it seems it never got a proper clean.
  4. It did.

Twice a year.

Actually from memory that photo was taken after an accident. The dirty bits (except the wheel) usually lived under a fairing.
  5. I spoke to Whitie and he said that it is a bit of a hassle to clean them, a 2 step process whereby you clean them as per usual, then give them a final wiping down after you ride around a bit (Black water from the brakes sits inside the pads, and comes out as you ride off, requiring a wipe down).

I guess if you're willing to put up with that then you'll be sweet.

Personally, I'm pretty anal with cleaning my bike, and I was similarly anal with cleaning my car back when I drove - I feel as dirty riding as the vehicle looks.
  6. I have the same problem with the polished sections on my Zed's wheels. Need to wash them really well, usually requiring some WD/Kero on the rear to get the chain muck off. Dry them after the wash. Given them a wipe over again after the first time you take it out again (I do a quick test run after it's dry).

It's annoying and adds a lot more time to cleaning, but the wheels look all the more awesome for it.

I've also found that keeping a decent coat of normal duco wax helps keep them cleaner. Although, again, that takes time.

7. Powder coating.