Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Riding Position

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Trotski, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Hi all,

Just got off my restrictions and have swapped my CB250 which has quite an upright riding position to a SV1000S with quite a forward riding position. As this position is new to me, does anyone have any tips on the correct posture on such a bike? :? e.g weight distribution, placement of butt, releaving stress on wrists.

2. Crickey!
    what a step up. from CB250 to SV1000s. :)

I am thinking that correct posture will depend a bit on your proportions.
    Like how long you back and arms are.

Putting those details up *might* help people suggest something for you.
  3. sit on seat.

stretch out arms.

hold onto the handlebars for dear life.

and try and keep the rubber pointing down. :wink:

seriously though, thats a hell of a switch you've made there. Take care and take it easy.
  4. Yeah I know its a big jump. But when I ride I remember that its a new bike for me and one that I'm not used to. So my behaviour on the road reflects that fact. :)
    I ride into work everyday so I figured I'd get a bike that will last the miles. I took it out last night for the first time so I'm taking it really easy until I get the feel for it. I managed to complete a 70km ride which went without a hitch. The only thing is getting used to the posture, hence the post! I'm not riding it during peak hour as yet, not until I can get a few kms up over the long weekend. As we all know, there is no substitute for experience.

I'm just short of 6 feet in height if that helps.
  5. I'm about 6'2 and have long arms.
    I can't offer much in the way of a fix for the posture but when I test rode the SV650S (I assume they are similar posture) I found that either I couldn't avoid unwanted strain on either wrists or back or both.

Being lazy I opted to put the strain on my wrists, but if I tried hard enough I could remember to use my lower back to support the angle and weight of my upper body and hold the bars only lightly.

The problem with this for me was that my lower back is not very strong and pretty dodgy due to height/posture and so I really felt it.

One thing you could try would be to grip with the inside of your knees and use your back to hold your riding position rather than resting on your wrists. See if your back can handle what mine couldn't!

It was for this reason that I didn't buy an SV. The grin factor was way up there but I knew I wouldn't survive long rides on it.
  6. I did vary my posture last night a bit, and its funny that you say to grip the tank a bit more. I found that if I were to slide way up against the tank and apply a bit of pressure, my wrists and back strain was eased a little.
    I found that probably varying the pressure now and again seemed to work the best. With that in mind, I remember when I rode the CB 250 for a while, my butt would become quite sore. The only problem was, I couldn't really adjust my posture to releave the strain as well as I can currently adjust it for the SV1000S. I guess I'll just keep on adjusting until I find what works for me.

The bike is heaps of fun though. Worth every cent, :grin:
  7. I've found that building up my back and core strength (in the gym) has really helped me sit up and keep the pressure of my arms, so I can lean forward but still have relaxed arms.
  8. Sit up against the tank, grip with your knees and thighs and hold yourself up with your stomach and lower back muscles. Bend and relax your back like your mother always told you not to. Keep the weight off the bars and your wrists.

If you are getting tired hanging on with your knees/thighs you could get some Stomp grip or similar to stick onto the side of the tank. It really helps you maintain a steady position on the tank and relieves some of the strain on your thigh muscles, as it is rubbery with little protrusions on it that grab your pants.

Everybody likes it when things grab them by the pants.
  9. Word for word what I was going to say...

...Except the Stomp grip, it's shithouse, particularly for the price you pay. ;)
  10. If pain persists, buy some bar risers. :)
  11. Hump that tank. HUMP IT!
  12. Loz what dont you like about the stomp grip? I found it really helped in my case.

It is expensive though, as you say. I paid $57 for it.
  13. I don't know the SV1000S specifically, but on the CBRs it helps if I push back/down on the foot pegs, which pushes your knees forward into fairing/tank, and grip the tank with your knees for a bit more support. Also, if I poke my bum out and lean on the tank it eases pressure on the back. Of course, leaning on the tank isn't so much for really low speeds, but when you're out in the twisties it sure takes pressure off the wrists.
  14. Use stomach muscle to 'upright'. Hands should be featherlight.
  15. ...just remember that g-forces resulting from MASSIVE acceleration will also alleviate (temporarily) back and wrist strain....well in one direction anyway :grin: :grin:
  16. That's true - just keep going faster and faster! You'll naturally lean forward without having to hold the weight of the lean :grin:
  17. G'day everyone,........

Been going through the same thing,....went from CB250 to CBR1000rr6.
    I get sore palms,mainly right hand,......all my top body weight is transfered down my arms into my hands,I have been thinking about putting a rubber sleave over the grips to increase there diameter so as to spread the load on the contact point in my hands,.namely the palms of my hands.
    Resting my stomach on the tank,..dont want a button or belt buckle to scratch the tank so need a clear tank protector.
    Got artwork on bike.

Dr Who?
  18. The average modern sportsbike has been conceived as a "torture-cycle"!
    But, since motorcyclists are largely unchanging --- the factories just present them with the "same-old, same-old" just with NEW colours and with MORE horsepower!

If motorcyclists REALLY wanted less pain, they'd demand something like Dan Gurney's radical Alligator: