Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider's question about lane splitting (QLD)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by carola94, Nov 4, 2005.

1. I'm new tothe wonderful experience of motocycle riding and enjoying it!!! Just wanted to ask what are the rules about lane splitting?

I have heard a few contradicting opinions, I've seen people cutting through the traffic and I was wondering what the law is, and if is not legal what are the consequences of doing it?

2. as far as i know its not legal.
    never go over a white line at the lights
    always stop before it. i dont think you can get booked then.

do it at your risk, your own speed. and when you are confident to. :)
    i think its one of the great advantages in owning a motorbike, and i make a point of doing it whenever possible. always at lights, as to make a safety barrier between me and the cagers. :)
  3. Everything is only illegal if you get caught :D
  4. I think I get it now :D .

I do think it is one of the great advantages of owning a bike, though since I am new i don't do it that often... just waiting for more confidence :wink:
  5. Its illegal in Qld to lane split. I still do it al lights or in really heavy traffic though. Just dont get caught!
  6. I remember reading 'the road ahead' the racq mag, and they said that there was something being put through state gov to make it illegal.. at the time it was still legal.. should be some way of finding it in hansard or something ?
  7. How long ago was it that you were reading the mag? When I got my license about a year ago I asked and the Q ride guy teaching me told me its illegal...
  8. Lane splitting is technically illegal in all states; no specific law (yet) banning it, instead police can apply various offences to book you (ie overtaking without signalling and more). Since there is nothing specific, it is possible to lanesplit without breaking any laws, if you do everything right.

Lane splitting is generally tolerated by police and society if done sensibly - but many have been fined.

In fact, QLD has one of the best laws to make lane splitting more legal - this rule differs from the standard Australian Road Rules from which all states derive their regulations. More on that here and here