Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New riders budget and random tips

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by matt232, Jul 30, 2005.

1. A work in progress(even though I�ve pretty much covered everything I wanted I�m hoping that others will contribute to it to give a more accurate view of the costs involved)....please everyone feel free to contribute or challenge at will. Especially those outside Victoria where I have little to no knowledge of.

Since it seems that most new riders getting into motorcycling don't fully understand the investment they are looking at I figured that knocking up some kind of budget would help them wrap their head around it. With any luck and a bit of collaboration from everyone we should be able to polish this up to give an accurate idea if the $ damage it will take to get out on the road safely.

At this stage this is all VERY rough pricing and I could well have missed things entirely so please everyone feel free to contribute.

I've tried to list the categories in the order that they should be thought about based on their benefits and prerequisites.

PLEASE NOTE: This is only intended as a guide, everything can vary wildly between state to state and what you want to do with your cash.

Club Membership
    =========================================================================

Well worth it so you get a wealth of knowledge and so you can take advantage of discounts that clubs might have.

What you'd probably like to do is join a few many and varied clubs, like Netrider and also track down a club specific to your bike model or manufacturer and perhaps even look into other clubs specific to you (e.g. WIMA for the lasses). If you have a political bent or just want to stand up for your rights as a rider then perhaps an advocacy club might also be on the cards.

A fair portion of your options are listed in the links directory but spend a little while searching with Google or the netrider forum search function could find you that niche club you are after. Then again you could create your own club if what you are looking for isn't out there.

Guessing about $50 in total should cover it easily, and that will be repaid in discounts before you know it.

Just because the shop isn't listed in the discount or partners list doesn't mean they won't give you a discount. Try name dropping when you are haggling to see if you can save yourself a few bob. If they don't go for it you haven't lost anything.

Also many clubs have shopping nights at their partner�s stores, these are great places to find many riders there to offer advice on purchases and also you get some fantastic discounts. Keep you ears to the ground.

Gear

Your first bike usually only has a life span of 18-24 months, your gear will be with you for your lifetime if you invest in good quality stuff.

A few thoughts you should hold in your mind:
    1. Dress for the slide and not the ride.
    2. Invest heavily in your gear and use the change to get the bike.
    3. While cheaper gear is still rated to protect you, more expensive stuff will be more comfortable offer more insulation against the elements, last longer and have a better chance of exceeding the minimum standards.

If you aren't planning on going 300km/h around a track every other weekend then, looking at initially getting Cordura gear rather than leather gear could be a good option since it's a better at dealing with rain. But leather is better at protecting you.

However it should be noted that Cordura Gear offers a range of protection depending on how thick it is. Discussion from https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=173010#173010

For a new rider it's always a good idea to have good feel with your gloves so resist getting thick winter gloves initially. Until you are confident with the feel you get from thinner leather gloves (ensure that the glove will offer 100% protection in the event of a crash) before you put on the bulkier gloves. You hands are probably going to be the first thing to hit the deck and then slide in an accident closely followed by legs, body then head, so its worth considering what you are putting on your mitts.

Club shopping nights are a great way to get good advice and save $ as well.

Something else you might like to think about is the range of conditions you will be riding in. Freezing cold pouring rain (hey you can still get caught 20km from home in the rain even if you think you'll avoid it like the plague) right up to 40 degree Celsius. It is however possible to cover all these possibilities with one jacket that has zip in layers and venting, dririder makes such a jacket and I'm sure that there are others around. Failing that you might want to think about having a summer and winter jacket, or getting the nylon (Gore-Tex suits cost more but breathe better) wets that cover you ankle to neck.

Bare minimum
    ------------
    Helmet: $120
    Jacket: $150
    Gloves: $40
    Pants: $100
    Boots: study secured (not blunstones) ankle high leather boots (not idea since they have limited support in places you'll need them in a accident and the laces can get in the way and cause and accident in themselves)

Total: $410

Recommended
    -----------
    Helmet: $350
    Jacket: $350
    Gloves: $70
    Pants: $300
    Boots: $450
    Neck Sock: $20
    Wets: full suit $90, pants only $40

Total: $1580

Luxury
    ------
    Helmet: $1200
    Jacket/suit: $2000
    Gloves: $350
    Pants: $1500 (leather pants, and few pairs of dragin jeans)
    Boots: $500
    Neck Sock: $20
    Wets: full suit $90, pants only $40 (no idea on the pricing of Gore-Tex suits but it would be more than this)

Total: $5660

Other things you might want to think about is a disc lock ($50) and a disc lock reminder cable($2-$10) otherwise it can be embarrassing and expensive riding off without taking off the lock. Rag to whip a wet seat ($0). An alarm ($100-$1500) and Oggy Knobs ($80-$450) to protect the bike.

License & Training

There are a range of Training and Licensing listed both in the Partners (offering discounts) and Links Directory section of netrider, check them out and find one that suits you. As I understand it the syllabus of the courses for Learner and Licence tests are standard (this is not true for courses delivered by interstate organisations for example Queensland offers a Q ride course) and the differences are in the quality of your instructor and provided bikes and the proximity of the training ground to yourself. Buts it�s been a while so I�d recommend drawing upon the experiences of those that have recently gone through the process either by chatting to them in person at a club event or doing a search in the Discussion forums on here.

Introductory Course: ~$60
    (no test but you get a chance to get a feel for riding and see if its what you want to do)

Learners 1 day Course and Test: ~$190

Learners 2 day Course and Test(Combines intro and test for those who have never ridden before): $250

Learner Permit(yes you will have to pay to get this as well): ~$20 plus a few passport photos ($5)

License Course and Test: ~$230

License(yes you will have to pay to get this as well): ~$20 plus a few passport photos ($5)

So in summary we�ll assume you�ve never ridden before and go the whole hog:

2 Day Learner Course and Test: $250
    Learner Permit with Photos: $25
    (3+ months later)
    License Course and Test: $230
    License with Photos: $25

Total: $530

This however only gets you the basic requirements after which many still don�t feel ready to venture out on the road. You are still going to need to learn how to read traffic to protect yourself and also practice you�re riding skills until they become innate. There are training options to take you to the next levels. TAC�s http://www.spokes.com.au/ website offers a wealth of info as well as the Ride On videos and something you should definitely get your hands on is the Ride Smart CD-ROM. But even with these it is highly recommend looking into the advanced training courses offered. Also seek out books such as Keith�s Codes Twist of a Wrist series and many others. Other sources of info for those on a budget include your fellow club members, Riding Bible (http://members.iinet.net.au/~kelly/ridingBible.html most of which is from here http://www.msgroup.org/TIPS.asp), Bikepoint Tips ( http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au/por...D__5766/BikeTipType__Tech/DesktopDefault.aspx), etc

Insurance

Assuming you are male, young, have no insurance record or a bad one, got the latest 250 faired sports bike, store the bike in the open and are on your Learners expect to paid DEARLY in this category IF you are lucky enough to find some suckers to cover you. 5 years ago under those conditions with my CBR250R (a grey import which makes it worse) I was looking at $2500+ from the few people who would insure me.

But it need not be that bad. A naked bike will be MUCH cheaper to insure and finding someone that will transfer a rating from having your name on your parents insurance can save you a lot as well.

If fact as part of the bike purchase you probably want to ring around a few insurance companies to see how much insuring that bike is going to be, better to know ahead of time rather than getting the shock of you life when you are locked in.

The links directory has a list of many of your options for insuring a bike so use it.
    https://netrider.net.au/linksdir/view.php?cid=49

ZRX1200R aslo knocked up some tips on how to minimise the category.
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=354934#354934

As a rough guestimate, based on a sensible bike you'll be looking at about $800 for comprehensice insurance on a pretty nice bike.

BIKE

The most obvious thing you are going to want to get is a bike, but these buggers come in all shapes, sizes and costs. New or second-hand? Naked or Faired? Bike or scooter? 250cc (or larger capacity if you are in NSW, then LAMS applies to you, or another state with similar nouse i.e. check you local state for the rules here) through to 50cc? Fixer-upper or ride away? How much insurance you are willing to pay?

Unfortunately (or fortunately) no-one can answer this other than YOU, so you need to get out there and sit on bikes, either in a shop or if you come down to a coffee night or a meet point at a ride and ASK NICELY you should be able to see and try a wide selection of bikes.

If you aren't quite as long legged as this lanky bastard then you might want to have a read of these threads below so you can get a better idea of the things you can do to modify the bike and also bikes better suited to your needs. Also Daytona make some boots that a designed to help out the any ladies that are struggling for instep length, thicker sole and adjustable fastenings for calves and ankles make it worth checking out.

Bikes for short riders
    http://www.vtwinmama.com/short_riders.htm
    http://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles_for_short_riders.htm

Female Learner trying to find short light bike
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8717
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4344

But we are interested in dollars here so let's get on with the wild estimates.

With a lot of elbow grease and some skinned knuckles you could probably end up getting a clapped out bike for $500 (or if you are luck con someone into giving it to you free, Cowboy1600 and glipschitz ya bastards.) and then if you are lucky and willing to be enterprising in getting parts $400 to fix it up to roadworthy standard. And the key thing here is getting it to ROAD WORTHY STANDARD and having the knowledge or friends to be able to get there without taking dangerous short cuts last thing you want while you are learning is for the bike to come apart at the seams (2005 GIXXER riders take note Smile ).

If you want to wonder up to a dealer and buy the latest and greatest 250 (I don't think 250 technology has changed in 10 years) and you struggle as a negotiator than you could be looking at $8000 (perhaps even $15000 if there are any high performance 2 strokes hanging around still).

For all the options in the middle then you can check out this page as a VERY ROUGH guide to pricing.

Another thing to note is that the type of bike you get is going to have a huge impact on cost of insurance, crash repairs also to a lesser extent the cost of registration. So it is wise to factor this into any budget.

But as a wild estimate at the middle ground I'd say you want to have about $4000 in you pocketed to cover a sensible bike at a ride away level of service. Your wants and desires are going to raise and lower this of course.

One very valid school of though for buying your first bike
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17238

Registration

So you have a bike but all its going to do is sit there until it's registered and legal on the road. With any luck the bike is already road worthy and you aren't faced sometimes shocking cost (could well be in the thousands) of getting it up to scratch. If you have bought a bike second hand then it's a good idea to make sure the owner has a road worthy to give to you and that they have footed the bill for this. So assuming that this is not a problem again we are faced with potential range of costs. Registering my old CBR250R about 5 years ago cost me $270 but these days the prices have gone up ALOT and a $50 levy to rego has been added for Victorians. The cost also varies between capacity of the bike, suburb and state you live in and most likely a bit of tea leaf reading on the part of the computer that spits out the rego bills.

If everyone can help me out here we'll generate a decent idea of costing.

250cc
    -----
    VIC:
    NSW/ACT:
    TAS:
    QLD:
    NT:
    WA:
    SA:

50cc
    ----
    VIC:
    NSW/ACT:
    TAS:
    QLD:
    NT:
    WA:
    SA:

Road Side Assistance

So what happens when you break down or run out of fuel while out on the road? If you�ve got plenty of good karma you might get a flock of people falling over themselves to help you or you might not. A good safety net is to look into Roadside assistance services such as RACV(sorry those not in Victoria you�ll need to check with your local RAC) or Honda Rider Assist (the only two I know of but that doesn�t mean there isn�t more out there). Costs seem to range from a basic $55, to $170 for a full blown package. Owning a Honda I went for the top coverage Honda Rider Assist offered to help cover when I�m off touring well away from the city but if you want to cover your bike as well as your car in the one package then Total Cover packages offered by RACV might be the option you take, but check the fine print to be sure your bike is covered as well.

Road Side Assistance: $170 per year

Maintenance

If you aren�t servicing your bike regularly and making between service basic checks like chain tension, oiling chain, checking engine oil levels, tyre pressure then your bike is wearing out quicker than it needs to. Most of the Japanese manufactured bikes require that a service takes place every 6000km (not forgetting the first service which is usually 1000km) with a major service every 12000km but you will need to double check that timing with what the manufacturer recommends in the service schedule for the bike you purchase.

From a cost point of view a minor service could be as cheap as $50 if you do the labour yourself and just purchase the parts. If you bought a brand new bike you will probably want to service your bike at an authorised service centre so you maintain your warranty in this instance a minor service will be in the order of $230 dollars and a major service could come close to $1000 if there are more expensive parts to replace. Depending upon how much you ride your bike you might need to get a service every 3 months or less or even stretch it out to once a year. Having a $20 can of chain lube handy at all times is advisable as well and it should be applied once every couple of tanks of fuel or if you notice the chain needs it before then.

Cleaning the bike usually doesn�t cost that much, a $5 visit to a self car wash or $30 of cleaning agents (Plexus for plastics and visors, Kero for degreasing chain and engine or you can select from any number of motorbike specific cleaning products) if you are going to do it at home will usually suffice.

Again we come down to a wild guess at costs for the first 12 months:

Servicing: $900 (rough guess at two minors and a major service)
    Cleaning: $30

Total: $930

Fuel & Tyres

From memory I used to fill up my CBR250R about once every two weeks, your mileage may vary, but at about $15 a tank over the 12 months you are looking at around $390.

Oiling your chain should be done once every two tanks of fuel or if the chain looks like it needs it. At about $20 a can of lube which would probably do about 10 lube sessions you are looking at about 3 cans of lube to last the year, so $60 for the 12 months.

My 1000cc bike goes through a rear Pilot Powers (a very soft compound tyre) in about 3month or 6000km and a front every 12000km or 6months. At a cost of ~$180 for a front and ~$270 for a rear this is not real cheap but then again you don�t buy a sports bike for economy. A 250cc bike is a little less taxing on the tyres and you shouldn�t have too much trouble getting 12000km out of a rear tyre and 18000km of a front (I�d appreciate the voice of experience on this since I�ve got bugger all idea) and they are much cheaper then the hoops I put on my bike. If you are using the bike everyday and going on a regular weekend ride you are probably going to chew up two rears and a front tyre. Depending upon your bike, size of the tyre, and the manufacturer you are looking at around $130 for a front and $180 for a rear. Remember these are rough figures so make sure you double check what suits you and your bike. Also stickier tyres are going to cost a few bob more and since they are a softer compound of rubber they will wear out sooner. Also erring on the side of caution when retiring worn rubber is a wise move, it�s cheaper to pay for a new tyre than it is to shell out for repairs.

Fuel: $390
    Chain Lube: $60
    Tyres: $490

Total: $940

Accident Repairs

It is highly likely that you are going to have an accident in your first 12 months if it�s a simple topple of the bike off the stand or you collect a car or wildlife you are still going to need to cover this expense.

If you don�t decide to get insurance or you decide not to use insurance and your bike is damaged in an accident you could be looking at any where between $50-5000 dollars of damage to your bike and even more if you�ve damaged someone else�s property. If you get 3rd party insurance you are covered for the damage to the other persons stuff but you are still going to have to cover your own repairs or even the cost of a new bike if it is written off.

I�ll assume that you went ahead and got comprehensive insurance and you also got a naked bike and you decide to repair the side stand topples yourself rather than hassling insurance about it. The below figure is completely and utterly plucked out of the air since there is no way to predict what the if and accident will occur, how frequently and what the damage is each time. So heres hoping no one has an accident and that this $400 turns into splash cash rather than part of a repair bill. Also you are going to have to replace your gear if it�s damaged.

Total Accident Repairs: $400
    Gear replacement: $800

Total: $1200

Private Health Insurance/Ambulance Membership:

In the event of an accident TAC (your local State traffic accident compensation body will need to be checked to confirm this for those not in Victoria) will cover your initial Ambulance bill and medical expense and, if you are approved, your ongoing rehabilitation as well.

Call me cynical but I�ve gone ahead and got Ambulance membership and Private Health Insurance (I�m actually better of financially with this anyway without factoring an accident so it�s a no brainier). It�s up to you if you want to be as paranoid as myself but definitely something to think about.

Ambulance Membership(Single): $55
    Private Health Insurance with extra Options: $900
    Total: $955

Splash Cash

Once you get into this motorcycle capper the cash just doesn�t stop pouring out. There are always more events to go to where you have to feed yourself and pay for entry and fuel. But the good time had is always worth it.

But even more sinister is the constant need for the next accessory or bit of gear that makes you more comfortable on the bike in hot or wet weather. The list is endless and I hope so is your self control or the depths of your pockets had better be. Back protectors, leathers if you have synthetic gear, ride days, luggage racks, power commanders, tinted visors, spare helmet and gear to take a pillion, GPS mapper, MP3 Player, ear plugs, after market exhaust, brighter headlight globes, flush mount indicators, fender eliminators, Oggy Knobs, alarms, key rings, lanyards, MotoGP, World Superbikes, Australian Superbikes, weekend tours, multi week tours, Bike to Bike communications, carbon fibre just about everything, double bubble screens, tank protectors, Steering damper, rearsets, seat cowl, Comfier seat, Speed camera warning GPS system, number plate concealment, new helmet, new gloves, Mesh jacket, another pair of draggin jeans, Veypour, lap timer, etc, etc, etc

But probably the biggest expense that is just outside the 12 months we are talking about here is the bike upgrade, getting ride of the 250cc bike and venturing into 600cc and 1000cc territory. And the cycle pretty much starts again.

Total: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rough Summary of costs in the first 12 months

Club Membership: $50
    Gear: $1580
    License & Training: $530
    Insurance: $800
    Bike: $4000
    Road Side Assistance: $170
    Maintenance: $930
    Fuel & Tyre: $940
    Accident Repairs: $1200
    Private Health Insurance/Ambulance Membership: $955
    Splash Cash: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Total: $11,155 and then some���..

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Matt, you are a genius
    I have no diea how long this took to put together and I will, when I get a bit more time, put in some of the things that you have asked pricings for plus a few other little things along the way.
    However, you have basically set a template which could prove to be exceptionally useful for all of us.
    Thanks for all the hard work. Watch this space.

3. TOP MARKS, I don't think this needs to be improved, just completed!!!!

4. Forget the pats on the back, lets get some content in there.

Taken me a few hours this morning to get this far but I've got a wedding to get to so if anyone wants to do a section I'll add it in tomorrow.

I'd also REALLY like to get input from the new riders who have only just done gotten into riding, you're knowledge is what is really needed here. The older hands have long forgotten all the little things and inflation and cost rises will have invalidated most of the $ we remember spending.

5. Registration
    NSW Registration: $95
    NSW 3rd party property insurance: $202*
    CTP Greenslip: $233**

* with NRMA based on 20yr male with no previous riding experience on a ZZR250
    ** with NRMA. Falls under the category 101cc-300cc. Also with the above details.

Licence and Training
    Learner Riding Course: $68
    Learner Computer Test: $32
    Learner Licence Costs: $16

This is just the stuff i know of definately as it all applies to me. I will be doing my riding course in 3 days (02/08-03/08.) so Tuesday afternoon and wednesday afternoon i will give you a write up of what it involved and my thoughts on the course. I will also send you and Excel doc i have done up which is just a rough budget of what everything MINUS the bike is going to cost me. It's all the real stuff that Noobs like myself generally ignore outside of the price tag on their pretty bike which is usually all they think about.

6. Also, if you are interested in motorcycle competition, check out MA's website and find your local motorcycle club or the club that is involved in the particular brand of m/c sport you're keen on. Melbourne is particularly well serviced with old and well respected clubs, Hartwell, in particular.

Being a member of such clubs gives you acess too all the sorts of benefits listed above, PLUS enables you to take part in sanctioned motorcycle sporting events as well.

Don't forget the Ulysees Club is you're an over-40, over-50 rider. They produce and excellent bi-monthly magazine, organise lots of rides and events and have a huge discount network all over OZ for members.
    Note that is you are an over-40 rider, several companies exist that specialise in insuring your bike. I use ARISTA and they are very good. Hornet as a newly-returing rider has got a very good deal from Western QBE.

7. hi all, Im a newbie rider, been on my Ls for about 3 months now, here are some of the costs I incurred, in getting the bike gear and the learners test road worthy and a 2 hour course in a riding school.

the bike was $1800 and we spent another $400 getting it roadworthied sent it of to a bike shop to be done then add onto that $100 . rego was $350 or so ,I got a new Arai helmet $450 The other gear was easy for me as My Partner already rides and had spares of almost everything, altho I did invest in a leather jacket that fits well at $299.I spent about $50 on a good pair of gloves. insurance was around $450 under her name with me as the main rider. helps when you have been driving under a top rating.also I did a couple of safety courses I went thro deca(never again) I finally went to motorcycle motion $230 including a 2 hr lesson and the L test (I passed ) YAY!!! . ummmmmmmmmm and Im sure there was other things I had to get or do as well. we wont include the cost of repairs after I dropped the bike in the drive way*blushes* and I wasnt even moving at the time ....anyways Just a few ideas for those riders in the melbourne area of the costs I incurred. always after advice and learning so thanks for the site its been great maybe one day i will get to meet people as well
    total cost so far!!!!!$3000 approx :eek: well Il be damned, never added it up like that before lol....

8. Learners = 15
    2x2hour lessons 2x100 = 200
    2x1hour lessons 2x50 = 100

full day Q-Ride bike test = 275
    incl maintenance tips etc..

Helmut - Nitro 510 - 180
    Jacket - Joe Rocket - 500
    Gloves - RJays - 100
    Jeans,draggins??? - 200
    Boots - 160-200

Bike - 4300
    Tax on new vehicle - 100-200???
    Rego - roughly 200/6months
    Insurance - Bout to find out - tp fire and theft for 18 y/o - 300???

Total - 6,450 :shock: :shock: :shock:

9. [not_sane says]
    Insurance - Bout to find out - tp fire and theft for 18 y/o - 300??? [/quote]

i think it might be a bit more than that mind you i've been known to be wrong :D

10. RACV offer roadside assistance option for motorcycles, it costs around $175 and covers you for most breakdowns.

Also RACV and AAMI in victoria do not offer 3rd party Fire & Theft they only offer 3rd party preperty to motorcyclists (When i enquired anyway) it costs $85 for me (21/M/no riding exp/Full car licence/ No claims on a CBR250RR)

Also try and ride/sit on as many bikes as possible until you find the one most comfortable for you, dealers ane used to people doing this and they kinda expect it.

My other expences from the last 2 months were:

Nitro Helmet - $175
    Cordura Jacket - around $260
    Draggin Jeans - $200
    Gloves - $40
    DriRider Boots - around $120+
    Tinted visor - $40 (Or sunglasses, you'll need them)
    Bike - $4500 (With private sales you might save around $1500)
    Lock - $80

I brought all my gear from the same place and asked if there was a discount for this and they gave me 10% off the total cost so it's well worth asking.

-mike

11. Motorcycle options $117, but it won't get you home if you're more than 100k away.

Touring options is an extra $46, and gets you home from anywhere (if the bike can't be fixed locally) with accommodation and hire car options.. But the $46 only gives three months coverage, so if you tend to tour at different times of the year, it could get pricey.

Total Care is currently $3 more than M/C options + a three month touring option, but gives effectively the same coverage all year.

As a plus, Total Care covers the nominated driver/rider while using any elegible vehicle, and also covers one nominated vehicle no matter who is driving/riding, so if (like me) you have a car that two people sometimes drive, and a bike that only one person ever rides, total care gives full coverage for both vehicles, all year.

I got recovered from Bright a couple of years back. If I make no other use of the membership for three or four years, I'll still be ahead....

Warning: None of the roadside assistance packages are allowed to provide recovery after a crash in Victoria. Just accommodation and "assistance".

12. Thanks guys....this is the kind of stuff I was hoping would keep getting added to help people work out a rough idea of what they should expect to pay. The most valuable info would most likely come from the new Learners who have just shelled out for all this stuff.

I'll have to find another slice of time to finish my first post off.

13. My tip in regards to gear is this:

Go around to lots of bike stores and check out their "bargain bin".

I got my jacket this way. $450 jacket for $149. It was the smallest mens size available (and still too big for me), discontinued line, and the last one on the rack.

As for my pants, I got them from a motorcycle clothing sale held at the showgrounds (vic). Not sure how often these are held, but keep a look out!

Do not compromise on headware! That may just save your life!

14. Gear

Jacket: $300 Motodry Duo (WP, 8)
    Pants: $200 Motodry Duo (WP, 8)
    Boot: $249 AGV Cascade Sports (WP)
    Helmet:$350 KBC VR-1 Graphic (Blue)
    Gloves: $60 Motodry Nitro Summer (V)

Total: $1159
    Total: $1043.10 (With a 10% discount)

I got the discount after letting them know i was a learner, it was my first gear and i was buying the 'whole' package so they gladly discounted it.

This is the gear that i have just purchased and it so far has been REALLY good. The Jacket and Pants are both waterproof AND Breathable and both contain a zip-out thermal liner which is very warm. The boots are very comfortable while on the bike and are water proof. When off the bike they are OK but on long walks would get uncomfortable.

The Helmet is very good also. It is VERY comfortable and the vents work quite well. The noise level is OK however ear plugs would be recommended. Finally the gloves. They have carbon fibre knuckles and 2 little carbon fibre circles cover the middle joint of you outside 2 fingers (pinky and Ring). The knuckle ones are comfy but i find on the left hand the joint ones can dig in a little bit. Other than that the gloves are comfortable and maintain a nice temperature during warmish weather. However if it gets even alittle bit cold, cotton liners or non vented/winter weight gloves would be recommended.

Cheers,
    Josh

15. i think it might be a bit more than that mind you i've been known to be wrong :D[/quote]

Well after I rang about 4 insurance companies I rang AAMI,

Value of bike 3200 despite the fact i paid 4300 for it but anyways.

Full Comp - $362
    third party - $83

$1100 excess on both (inc +700 for 18 y/o)

pretty cheap... not sure which to get. think it may be full comp. depends on funding

16. is full comp worth it? considering its

$2162

someone give some advise? or experiance with it?

17. oi man

Normal insurance exc-400
    its 1100 including the 700 for an 18yo

so its 1100- 400+700

then you add the initial 362.

i dunno if its worth it. thats about what i pay for my car tho, but thats only third party fire and theft. not even full comp. its like 1400 for a 4500 car

18. never forget the awsomeness of ebay -
    Leather Jacket (Mars) and free gloves cos the lovely lady was giving up riding and though I was nice
    - $50
    Draggin cargos
    - $150 (inc. postage)
    Helmet
    - either $250 or $350 I cant remember; Only thing Ive got new so far
    Bought my bike from ebay too
    - $2700
    Rego wasnt very much, can look it up - don forget helthcare card discount!!!

And I bought another jacket from ebay on the weekend
    - $150 for an alpine star. very happy with that purchase.

19. How about bike p0rn? $6.50 every 2 weeks for AMCN so you can nod your head sagely at coffee nights when three people in a row mention what they "heard" about next year's ZX-10...

Or $17.90 every time you walk past Borders and see the latest UK mags that are actually worth reading... ;)