Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Riders Boots - Waterproof or non-waterproof?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Cowboy Mac, May 7, 2008.

1. hi guys,

I am buying some boots and like the safety of the Sidi Vertigo Corsairs (I also own some Sidi cycling shoes so I know they are quality), but am worried I should go for one of their Gore-tex/waterproof boots instead. I was planning on wearing some overboot protectors to make them more waterproof, but as I plan on only buying one pair of boots, can anyone provide some helpful experiences?

2. Depends on what kind of riding you intend to do, but as you're in Melbourne, it's only a matter of time before you get caught in the rain.

I suppose it comes down to what you hate most. Waterproof boots (even 'breathable' ones) are always sweatier in summer than non-waterproof ones. It's only a matter of degree though - any boot will be hot on a hot day. So do you prefer to have cold, wet feet in winter, or hot, sweaty feet in summer? That's your choice.

(I've never tried overboots).
  3. Thanks titus. Forgot to mention I'm going to be commuting daily on the bike, so that may influence the suggestions. Has anyone had any experience with overboots? Do they affect they way you ride?
  4. I have Sidi Vertigos. It would really have to be raining hard for water to get in.
  5. I got sick of wet feet so ended up with some A* waterproof boots.
    They have a gore-tex membrane and work exceptionally well.

My next pair will also be waterproof.
  6. I think if you can afford good waterproof boots get them. I have sidi champion tepor that are great. Stopping and changing into waterproof anything is a pain! (Will I, won't I, oops I'm all wet and cold).
  7. Oh, how true is that! Last January on the way up Hotham, stopped at the first few spits. By the time I'd even got the gear out of the tailpack it was too bloody late. :cry:
  8. I have a pair of overboots that aren't actually meant for biking but do the job just fine. In fetching shade of bright green they add some much needed colour to my drab black waterproof gear :)
    Seriously though, it's the same with boots, gloves and rest of the gear. This is how I see it:
    It is extremely difficult and expensive to make truly waterproof garments unless they are a simple sheet of plastic (and even then you'll find half the time the seams will leak anyway). Material can either breathe, or stop water from coming in and anything that claims to do both is going to be a compromise in both directions.
    My conclusion from this is that rather than spending heaps of money on waterproof gear it is better to get regular stuff and waterproof over-boots/gloves/whatever to put on top as required. It end up being cheaper, more effective and more flexible and the only downside is having to carry the wet weather layer with you...
    ... which is why it would be nice for bikes to have some storage space under their seats!