Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by skar6270, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Hi guys, just got my Ls and my bike (gpx250r) and i've been riding for just about a week now and loving it (once i've hit 5 posts i'll post up a pic).. only noob mistake so far is not kicking the sidestand far enough but luckily I was able to catch her before she dropped haha.

For the last 3 months i've been reading through the netrider forums getting information about bikes, accidents, riding techniques etc and honestly this site has helped me a lot with getting used to the bike and how to avoid getting into trouble. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and hope to come on one of the cruises when i've developed enough skill.

2. Welcome and congrats on getting your bike.

I'm a new rider as well and this site has been a wealth of information.
    I'm always thinking "you look there - you go there" as I'm riding which helps me keep on line.

Have fun and keep safe.
  3. Welcome.

Remember to be honest with your self about your skill
    level and you'll be around to be an old fart on a sports 1000 like me.
  4. Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah I tend to do the same thing, I try and talk to myself throughout the ride to keep me concentrating and focused and it seems to work well because I find if I don't do that its fairly easy for me to get carried away.

Oh definitely, getting up to the more powerful bikes is the goal and i've read far too many stories about people getting themselves into trouble trying to ride faster than they are capable of. I've been taking it easy around the backstreets, carparks etc around my area, just trying to get a feel for the bike. More than anything what I need to improve on is cornering at low speed (u turns) and stability during slow hill starts.

I'm really looking forward to going on one of the learner rides in the near future just to get some criticism of what i'm doing
  5. Congrats ! & Welcome to the 'nut house' :p
  6. lol thanks, i'm a little bit of a nut myself so I should fit right in haha. Managed to knock up 5 posts so i've updated the first post with a pic (bad quality sorry). I know the leathers all black but i'm a small guy so I didn't have much of a choice in my size (the wait was too long to order the white and black one) haha. But i've got a silver axio swift bag which helps with visibility from the back.

I've heard of black reflective tape though so if I can find some of that I might put some on
  7. Welcome to NR Shehan.

Black reflective tape ...

Bought some for my other 'arf thru' ebay. I just googled reflective tape and got a few leads also.

Nice GPX - had one the same - have moved up to a GSR600. Do yourself a favour and attend an advanced road rider training course very worth the $$$. Have fun and keep the rubber down and paint up.

8. Oh definitely, once I save up a bit of money i'm going to have a look into the practice and intermediate stay upright courses. I'll probably try the advanced courses after I get my P's because that'll be after my summer holidays are over (money!).

Thanks for the help with the reflective tape, i'll have a look into it.. thinking about putting a racing stripe down my helmet and a couple of pieces on the side
  9. Welcome to NR. I am fairly new to riding too & like you have read and recieved loads of brilliant advice and tips on the forum.

I also have an 06 GPX250R but looks slightly different...must have been more than one 06 model. It is a great bike though (not that I have much to compare it with!) - I love it.

One of the most helpful things I read was to count out loud when going up & down gears. I initially thought I would know what gear I was in....as when driving a car I have the experience to just go with the engine &change when you need to'...but I had forgotten what this was like when I first started. I was having trouble, especially slowing down to corner because I didn't know where I was starting from. It is becoming more natural now to feel the bike rather than count but I still do it because sometimes I am so busy concentrating on other things I need the verbal to help.

The slow riding - practice practice practice. My 'learning' ground was the road I live on - a hilly cul-de-sac with another hilly cul-de-sac joining it. The first squillion times (at least that's how it felt) were really hard and I thought I would never get there & cursed that I didn't live close to flat roads & car parks. Now I am grateful I had that experience - it was hard but it taught me slow riding & turning in tight spaces.

Enough words of wisdom from me (hahhaa). I hope you love your bike & riding as much as I do & keep practicing...you will be out on the road before you know it.