Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Blueyy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Hi

I just got my first bike an Aprilla RS125, I was wonder if its normal to slide forward on the seat when braking?
    It sounds like a silly question to me, but on the bike I did the learner test on I didn't feel anywhere near as much movement when braking.

Obligatory picture, I would insert it in the post but its rather large.
    http://i43.tinypic.com/orns4p.jpg

Blueyy

2. Nice bike and pic (y)

My suggestion is that you aren't sitting forward enough in the first place. You should pretty much be sitting against the tank, so no room to really slide forward. Unless im doing it wrong :)

3. read the noobs links yet? have a read on here, are you gripping the tank with your knees?

4. I have been trying to grip the tank but its still new to me, maybe once I move forward on the seat it will be easier.

I have read the tips quite a few times, putting them into practice is a little harder than I expected.

5. The other suggestions are good, weight forward grip the tank. If you are still having problems Tank Grippers can help but I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Don't be overwhelmed by all the learning suggestions. Take it a bit at a time and you will be fine. And enjoy the experience. :)

6. you seem too tall for the bike. is that what's making you sit too far behind the tank? but, as others said, grip the tank with your knees. with practice, you'll be come better at it and also, when braking hard, try to hold yourself up by gripping the tank and not putting too much pressure on the handle bars. you'll stop quicker :)

7. As someone who misspent his youth trying to cram his 182 cm frame onto a 125 GP bike (see my avatar), you are not too tall for the bike.
    I think what you are describing is the result of the head-down-bum-up riding position which will transfer a lot of weight to your arms when braking. The handlebar position that is lower than your body c of g will cause your rear end to unweight and slide forward under braking.
    Get used to it. You'll have to use your arm, shoulder, core strength to hold things in place. Yes, can try gripping the tank, but I never found it made much difference.
    The only manufacturer who got on top of this was Bultaco who put a strip of suede leather down the middle of the seat. Come to think of it, I once had an Aermacchi with a suede seat and that was really grippy.
    So if it really bothers you, have the seat reupholstered in suede. I'm sure you'd have the only one.

8. Nice bike for a 125, looks better than the cbr250r that I want hehe. I was looking at those bikes too.

9. I want for a ride this afternoon, sitting right on the tank made a big difference. I was able to grip the tank better with my knees and didn't slide at all. It felt great riding down the somewhat twisty yarra boulevard. Now i just have to get my clutch control down pat before I feel confident enough to go on some proper rides.

Blueyy

10. One of the issues isf you are sliding forward under brakes is that, there is a natural tendency to both grip the bars tighter and to use your arms to push yourself back. This is a no-no!
    If you are gripping the bars tigh or and especially if you push back with your arms you are actually giving unintentional steering inputs to the bike under brakes. As has been said, grip with the knees and ensure your arms are loose.

Before you go on any "proper rides" get yourself down to the StKilda practice sessions. You can practice e-braking there in the car park and get feedback on what you are doing right/wrong.

11. I went for a ride, not sure where I got the idea to sit back in the seat from, now I have moved up to the tank It's much more enjoyable, my knees can now grip like vices and i almost don't move at all, even when braking hardish.

12. You'll be cramped up against the seat, and over the bars, which does not suite the design of the bike. But it's the best place to be for general riding.

Once you get out on the open road and making headway through the twisties, you will have your arsk all the way back and your body down low to get your forearms somewhere parallel with road, for what the bike it designed for.

You're on more or less a no compromise track bike, so you will need to get inventive to stay 'relatively' comfortable, especially in traffic. You are a young chap and so is your back - Be careful with it. :)

13. how would you counter the sliding when braking when in 'track mode' then?