Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider; Zero experience!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Mont3y, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Hey everyone!

I have wanted to get a bike and start learning to ride for some time now and finally took the plunge after a work colleague moved to the UK and offered to sell me his bike. I have zero experience so I'm open to suggestions for getting more involved in the riding community.

I'm booked in for my LAMS test this weekend (2 day course with HART) and plan to hassle my partner's dad for lots of advice as he used to be a road craft trainer. So far I've purchased a Helmet and gloves as they seem to be the two main components of gear that need to fit/suit the person wearing them. I will need help/advice on getting a jacket, boots and pants once I'm licensed and ready to ride.

The bike I bought off my work colleague is a 2013 Honda CBR250R with around 5,000k's on it.

Oh and I live in the North East suburbs!

I look forward to chatting with all of you :)

2. Welcome Adam. When you feel confident to venture out then Saturday morning practice is very worthwhile. You will get some good tips and advice there. Then generally one of the members Uncle Greg runs a learner friendly ride Saturday afternoon. There is a Spanner day coming up in late August where you can see about some of the basic maintenance jobs on the bike.

Lots of good threads in the New Riders section on roadcraft and keeping safe also threads on selecting riding gear so do some reading and good luck this weekend, HART gives you lots of practice opportunity so take advantage of it.
  3. Cheers mate!

really appreciate all the info :)
  4. Welcome Mont3yMont3y good decision!
    We all started with zero and moved on from there :)
    It will be a year tomorrow since I got my bike Wasabi and what an adventure.
    Great mob in Vic and lots of help there for you...use the experience around you and you'll be burning upthe twistys in no time :)
  5. Congratulations OldmaidOldmaid and welcome Mont3yMont3y
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome to NR and to motorcycling Mont3yMont3y. Fun times ahead.

And Happy Anniversary for tomorrow OldmaidOldmaid :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome!
    You might want to take look at the Aldi gear this weekend so you'll have something to compare against when you look for other bits of gear:
    Motorcycle Sat 8 Aug - ALDI Australia
  8. holy smokes! I think I'll be camping out at my local Aldi's for some pants and a jacket. Thanks a bunch for the link.
  9. Howdy & Welcome to NR!
  10. welcome to NR and agree with cjvfrcjvfr to get into Saturday Practice Sessions, very well worth it!! you'll learn heaps and it will help your confidence and keep you safe. make sure the gear you buy is comfy to wear and not choking you!
  11. welcome aboard :]
  12. Welcome Mont3yMont3y,
    Enjoy, hope to see you out there.