Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured New rider writes again...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Cheeks, Apr 13, 2015.

1. So it's been a month now, and I feel remarkably comfortable on the bike. I've decided not to hang the LPlate for the moment as it seems to short circuit the brains of those on the road around me. I sometimes filter to the front at lights, sometimes not. It depends on the gaps and what the front car looks like. I'm profiling drivers and I've no doubt I am often wrong. So it goes. When I sit in the saddle now there is an element of comfort which enables me to enjoy the process much more than in the first few weeks. However my throttle grip is too tight, despite continually telling myself to relax I find my right forearm getting sore - a kind of tennis elbow ache that is frustrating and pretty bloody painful too. Interestingly I did't stall at all in the first few weeks but have a couple of times recently, though the upshot is that I quickly start up and get going and no one is more the wiser. I have a better feel for the what the bike likes and high revs seem to be are what it craves. I love getting on the freeway and pushing it, though I'm still shit-scared of heavy traffic at 100kph. Next weekend venturing out with a mate who know what he's doing so I can follow and practice cornering and learn from his example. As I feel more at one with the bike I now find I am questioning little sounds that I'm sure I've never noticed before. Without experience I don't know how the bike should sound and this is a little disconcerting. I also use the rear brake quite a bit and suspect that is a bad idea, but it's a habit I've developed organically - anyone got any tips on that? Otherwise, buying this little Kawasaki 300 really is one of the best things I've ever done. Cheers from the Cheekster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I've decided not to hang the LPlate for the moment
    And the penalty for this when you get caught is....?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yeah, how about some paragraphs :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yeh let them be frustrated. It's their problem not yours.
    I find people drive incredibly close but I'm sure it's just to get a closer look at my beautiful bike :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fair call. It's an odd situation where I feel I need the plate on and when it's on I feel it is a target. I'm not sure drivers intentionally do it, but that little plate causes fixation in car drivers...
    You're right, the plate needs to go back on.

6. I can.

Do that.

Cheers!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Good job Cheeks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just put a spare plate and cable tie under the seat and say the old one flew off.

• Like Like x 3
  9. #9 Wheres me Boike, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    While City riding, I am constantly profiling drivers around me, (I hate City riding)
    You don't get much time to decide who or what is next to you on the road.
    The usual suspects are:

Middle aged Men and Women drivers with thick glasses.
    A bunch of young Guys and Girls in a Car giggling and showing each other pics on their Phones.
    People in a hurry.
    Cars not keeping between the lines in a normal way. (drugs or alcohol)
    Truckies are some of the best drivers, but they hate Motorbikes, because we are so hard to see. So when near a Truck, ride up there past his Cab.

Remember the golden rule.
    _ Nobody ever sees the Motorcycle _

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. And get out of that vortex.

11. I stay far away from trucks (and buses). If I see one coming up behind me, I change lanes. If I have to go alongside one, I speed up or slow down (depending on traffic) to give myself some space.
    I always assume since car drivers can't see me (or chose not to), trucks have no chance. A wee human on a bike is too damn small to pay attention to if you're a truckie, so I just make sure I sit somewhere where I'm not in their way.
    It's been working fine so far.

As far as riding in the city, my pet peeve is taxi drivers and cyclists sneaking up from behind you, between between parked cars and (semi)moving traffic. Especially when you have to turn and can't see them until they're right next to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I've ridden in a few large cities but mainly London and Brisbane, here are some of my rules..

Be calm and flow with the traffic
    Keep out of blind spots ... been seen.
    Always filter when safe ... No one likes surprises
    Don't stereo type anyone... everyone is a moron.
    Cover the brakes with a couple of fingers and practice braking....
    Don't be distracted.... there is always something happening in the city.
    Don't rush and make silly mistakes... you will make progress you are on a bike.
    Look after your bike

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thanks CarterBonesCarterBones, sadly I failed and took a tumble yesterday evening. I was in a hurry, stalled at lights in front of heavy traffic, went to pull away fast and lifted the front wheel, losing control. Bike a bit mangled, knee ligaments torn to shreds. Oops. Learnt a huge lesson the worst way. I was concentrating on a presentation I was on my way to give, not the important task at hand. Upset, disappointed, but not discouraged. No one hurt but me, and I own my mistakes. Will be an expensive fix of the bike and a long slow rehab of the knee. And I'd just gone and attached that L plate too. Go figure.
    Back on in a few months I figure.
    Ya'll be good now.

14. Well that's bad news, as you have said concentrate on the task at hand. Once you get more experience the mechanics of riding the bike will become more automatic and you will have more brain capacity for the traffic situational awareness aspect. We all have other things in our lives that occupy our minds but it is best to leave them behind when riding.In fact riding for me has always been a way of clearing and refreshing the mind. :)

Heal up quick (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thanks @cjfr, I am going to use the bike more for pleasure than commuting. I hoped on it in a hurry and rode like I was in a car. It had been going so well too...
    Cheers.

16. Shit... get better soon mate, I hope you have a swift recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Get well soon, but at least you can say you got the front wheel up ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hehe, yeah I did too! Shocked the hell out me... My grandmother always says, 'surviving leads to a long life.'
    Here's to grandmothers everywhere.