Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider - Track day only ?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by PJ2, Aug 27, 2011.

  1. Okay guys I don't know if this is in the right spot, and I think it may cause some debate.

    I would like to get my motorbike license and start riding a bike. But only to to ride on a track - not on the street. (not riding on the road is for many different reasons, so don't really want to discuss).

    Anyway is this at all possible ?
    Obviously I need to do the pre learners, practice somewhere ( any ideas) and get my P's.

    Does anyone know where I can practice for example can I hire HART or similar ? Is there anywhere else. ?

    Also without riding on the road, is there anywhere I can practice to get my skills up to riding on a track ( I suppose a similar q to the one above. )

    Thanks guys.
  2. have you ridden much before? it will be so much cheaper to start on the road. the learning you have to do to be anywhere near where you need to be on the track.

    and not to mention some track day hosters want riders to have street licences.
  3. I got my licence with the intention of doing mostly track riding, so far I haven't been able to get on the track at all. (Because it's expensive.)

    I don't think I would have been ready to do a track day the first time I rode a bike. I might be wrong but I think most people who don't ride on the road but do ride on the track (e.g. underage racers) might have had dirt experience beforehand. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
  4. I'm trying to remember whether MC Sportsmen require a license or not. I don't think so. TopRider didn't. At both, there were people wobbling around in the slow group who ride slower than most Ma & Pa Kettle types drive their Kingswoods. Some of those turned up to the event by riding there (which left me wondering how they managed it) and some brought their bikes there on trailers or in utes.

    My point is that once you get to the point where you think you're riding well enough to try riding it outside the car park, you can find a place at a track day. There are people there who are just capable of wobbling around the track at lower than normal legal road speeds. And it's great for them because they can practice the basics of riding, in the company of people who will coach and advise them, without the additional distraction and danger of other traffic, potholes, manhole covers, intersections ...

    The cost, well, that I can't help with.
  5. Get an MA or AASA licence is you only want to do track day's ;)
  6. If you don't want to ride on the road then buy a register able dirt bike. You can then practice off road and still do your P's test.

    Pretty much every top racer learnt to ride on the dirt.