Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider - Road vs Dual Option

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by .Nathan., Apr 25, 2009.

1. Hi All,

Just got my Ls and looking at bikes and one of my bike friends suggested I looked into dual purpose bikes, being that a) I can play on all the local tracks around here in the ACT and b) that I will get a better feel for the bike in bad conditions as I take it off-road (when the front wheel gets loose etc).

So I am basically asking is this a valid reason? Just that the dual purpose bikes seem to be a bit more expensive and I do not have a huge budget.

To give you an idea I was pretty much looking at the Yammy Scorpio but have now started to look at the XT250 or TTR250.

Also when I did my Ls, I was the last to get my bike and ended up with the 1 and only dual purpose bike (cannot remember what it was exactly) and at the start I was a bit worried because it was a lot larger then the rest and felt it had a lot more torque (always want to jump off the mark) but by the end of the day I was loving it and ripping it up at a whopping 25kph :)

So any advice on getting a pure road vs a dual would be greatly appreciated, especially any personal experiences.

*Edit - meant to put XT250 not XR, (although I was looking at the XR400 for a bit)
  2. Get a Yamaha XT250, with DP tyres, and rip in to it.
    Bombproof, bundles of fun, perfect for negotiating Canberra, and you can take her for a run in the Brindi's to get some good off-road experience too (which will drastically improve your wet weather riding).

I typically NEVER recommend a Yammy, but the slightly older XT250/500 were magic.
    I learnt to ride, on an XT500 (the one with the silver steel tank, and enough kickback hot-starting it to do ligament damage) @ 12y.o. and loved it. Used to take it out to Wallaroo Road (near Hall) and have an absolute ball.

The ones you mention are good too, I just have a soft spot for the XT :)
  3. Having the capability to ride off road as well as on opens up a whole new world. I'd highly recommend it.
  4. Thanks guys, I think I will go with the dual option as it does sound pretty cool being able to just go off-road when I want for a bit of fun :)

Also I fixed my original post as I meant the XT250, and I don't know why but after looking around only the Yammys really appealed to me, not that I am adversed to anything else but they seem like a better bang-for-buck option.
  5. I still have my old TTR250 that I did my first few years riding on. Did everything on it, touring commuting, trail riding, desert rides with a big tank and going to the GP with 4 days worth of camping gear.

They are a brilliant all rounder. Nothing scary or intimidating. Great brakes, great all round suspension, brilliant motor that just keeps going.

They are a more seriously engineered unit than any of the XTs and have better everything. They are great value new, and a total bargain second hand if you can find one that has not been owned by a farm kid who manages to wreck everything. Second hand prices are very reasonable because there are now nearly 10 years worth of WR250Fs out there for the go fast brigade. Not that the TTR doesn't go, but it's no longer anything near a race bike.
  6. In learner legal bikes, I can think of very few cases where I'd go road bike over trailie.

Trailies are easy to ride, dirt cheap to run, not cramped if you're at all tall, and seriously good fun, even on bitumen. In theory they're very cheap to crash too, although I've revised that opinion since poking a hole in the alternator cover of my DR650 in a stationary drop.

Go the dual purpose. You're very unlikely to regret it.
  7. +100 singles are where its at

and bullet proof 250s are as fun as you are. some will find them boring. i find them hillarious, lofting the front, sliding the rear
  8. What are these dual purpose like for servicing? I know dirt bikes have a horrible maintenance rep...but i imagine these are somewhat detuned? Obviously ou'd want to up filter changes etc if doing mucho dirt work but hhm.
  9. everything is a compromise, it's either road or dirt based....pick which side of the fence you are more interested in and see whats the closest you can get :)
  10. Knobbies on the vtr I think >:D
  11. :cool:

Most impressive. I seem to remember you writing it up in another thread? Was it just an (un)lucky fall where something made it around the frame, or just a vulnerable design?

FWIW, my VTR250 went touring "offroad" (unpaved roads and trails) quite nicely at sensible speeds, though the bars were a little low for comfortable standing-up. As discussed in other threads, the biggest problem is that sports tyres are super slippery on any sort of loose material. The low slung exhaust headers could be a bit vulnerable too... but fine for exploring gravel roads carefully, anyway. :)
  12. So i have found, also neesd plenty of leaning for'ard on the front wheel.
  13. IMHO it's poor design. Gear lever contacs ground and is then perfectly placed to put a hole in the rather thin casting.

It wasn't a mortal wound. I didn't even notice until I saw the patch of oil under the bike the next day. It wasn't anything that a quick prayer to Araldite, Goddess of Broken Things couldn't sort, and a bit of ally plate has been glued in place to take the brunt of further impacts.

I still consider it a bit bloody silly on something with pretensions to dirtbikehood though.

BTW, servicing is cheap as. Small oil capacity, small (cheap) filters and screw and locknot tappets on most of the older tech bikes make 'em about as cheap as you can get. The soft-tune road trailies aren't excessively demanding as far as intervals are concerned either. 5000 km seems fairly typical. Oil changes are so cheap and easy, though, it wouldn't be that much of a chore to do it twice as often.